Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you an aspiring writer?
My first attempt at writing, when I was twelve years old, was inspired by the novels from the Golden Gothic Era.

After a thirty year break I recently turned back to writing. My first attempt was a Gothic Romance / Horror Adventure hybrid. I stalled at about 25,000 words.

My most recent attempt started as a straight Gothic Romance, but developed into a Southern Gothic / Family Drama / Gothic Horror story. After two years I'm at about 50,000 words. I don't really have any hopes of getting it published. I've done plenty of research on today's publishing market. The two most likely market targets are Paranormal Romance, which doesn't appeal to me to read so why would I write it? and Horror, but the actual horrors in my novel are highly underplayed. I focus heavily on atmosphere and emotional reactions to events, rather than lurid descriptions.

There is an excellent online support group that I would recommend to any aspiring novelists with several thousand active members posting in categories ranging from genre writing to current manuscript formatting standards.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php

Messages In This Thread
Are you an aspiring writer? - by whitelady - 11-24-2007, 07:50 PM
RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - by Desdemona - 11-30-2007, 01:02 AM
RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - by tamtam - 01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - by Epigraph - 03-22-2008, 07:39 PM
RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - by vampyrouss - 03-23-2008, 11:21 AM
RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - by Epigraph - 03-23-2008, 01:43 PM
RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - by Monique Devereaux - 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM