Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers
Are you an aspiring writer? - Printable Version

+- Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Are you an aspiring writer? (/showthread.php?tid=114)

Are you an aspiring writer? - whitelady - 11-24-2007

I've read some good Gothics and some very bad ones. When I read a bad one, I feel I could write just as well, if not better. I'm afraid to even begin a novel for fear that it could end just as bad as some of those I criticize. Still, there is that longing to begin writing. Are there any of you out there, like me, who are aspiring writers?

RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - Desdemona - 11-30-2007

Occasionally, I think about writing a book. But what discourages me is not so much the writing, which I know is very hard work, but the publishing of the finished product. How in the world does one get published? It seems like such a crap shoot. Because I can believe that some people write bad books, but I can't believe why anyone would publish them. Especially because I know there are very talented unpublished writers who deserve the opportunity so much more.

Also, even if you do get published, will your book get read? It depends on your publishing house, their distribution power and their marketing expertise.

RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - tamtam - 01-01-2008

Yes, the big question is the publishing. But if publishers are willing to put out those bad books, then good books should have a good chance. Once it's published, there will be readers. We've all been caught reading even the bad books, so I believe there will always be a readership.

My only advice is write the book and send it out.

RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - Epigraph - 03-22-2008

I'm an aspiring writer, and I've been fueled, just like you seem to be, by the shame put to the genre thanks to horrid writers. I write supernatural romances... tragic romances, for the most part, though a certain character of mine simply won't let me go through with my intended ending. He says I've made him suffer through enough, and that come hell or high water, he'll have the ending HE wants (Yes, i keep 'one on one' relationships with some of my characters, as weird as that may sound)

Regardless, if you feel lie writing, go for it. Odds are, if you're interested in writing about a certain topic, people will be interested in reading about it. As for critisicm, it's inevitable. You will never be able to please anyone. People are bound to love your story, others will despise it. I personally want to publish a book, but through self-publishing. I'm too shy when it comes to my writing, so a couple copies for friends and family, and whoever is interested, would be available. And through self-publishing, I feel I can have a story that is 100% the way I intend it to be, without pesky editors telling you you should do this, or that. If you want to read Epigraph, then you'll get 100% Epigraph. When I pick up a book, I pick it up for the writer's prose, their style. You need someone to proofread, yes, and give your their opinion, but unless it's constructive, and you can use it, you can dismiss the rest.

Now in th 21st century, and the availability of podcasts, blogs, journals, and what not, it's easier to get out your thoughts out into the world. Post your writing in places where people can comment on it, and give your their opinion. Publishers now a days publish only what they think will sell. It's all about marketing. I've had a hard time finding good Vampire books that aren't aimed at 14 year olds. The Vampire genre is a dreadful, decadent thing, and because of all the trash being published out there, I'm determined to write the books and stories that I've looked for in earnest, but have failed to find.

RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - vampyrouss - 03-23-2008

I've always wanted to tell stories and was passionate about comics as a child but in recent years I've gathered that I'm probably not that suited to writing a novel, or even novella, and certainly not putting together a graphic novel...

But why should these stories stay locked away in overpriced paperbacks?

I started a band at the time I left school, and I was determined to break away from the heavy metal that everyone else wanted to make. I love hammer horror movies, I love the orchestral movie soundtracks... and of course gothic literature... so why not put it all together as a band?

It all fits so well, the dark poetic lyrics backed by soaring orchestral scores, with thoughtful artwork to accompany it... thats what I wanted to listen to and no one else seemed to be making that kind of music, and if they were they weren't telling those kinds of stories within the music and instead used the grandiose instrumentation as a gimmick for a metal band...

So knowing I'd never be able to write a book, or comic and certainly not afford to make a period feature length gothic romance movie I dedicated my band to the stories I longed to tell! And still am to this day.

So, the moral of the story is, that we have MySpace and a billion other similar promotional tools, we all have PC's, and we can all promote ourselves to anywhere in the world via the internet.

So tell your story. It doesn't matter how or what format it ends up as, find a medium that is right for you (or try lots of different ones, why restrict your creativity?!) and just go for it regardless!

RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - Epigraph - 03-23-2008

vampyrouss Wrote:So tell your story. It doesn't matter how or what format it ends up as, find a medium that is right for you (or try lots of different ones, why restrict your creativity?!) and just go for it regardless!

Very, very true! I've always wanted to do a graphic novel, but I lack the skills and patience, hence why I write.

RE: Are you an aspiring writer? - Monique Devereaux - 08-07-2008

My first attempt at writing, when I was twelve years old, was inspired by the novels from the Golden Gothic Era.

After a thirty year break I recently turned back to writing. My first attempt was a Gothic Romance / Horror Adventure hybrid. I stalled at about 25,000 words.

My most recent attempt started as a straight Gothic Romance, but developed into a Southern Gothic / Family Drama / Gothic Horror story. After two years I'm at about 50,000 words. I don't really have any hopes of getting it published. I've done plenty of research on today's publishing market. The two most likely market targets are Paranormal Romance, which doesn't appeal to me to read so why would I write it? and Horror, but the actual horrors in my novel are highly underplayed. I focus heavily on atmosphere and emotional reactions to events, rather than lurid descriptions.

There is an excellent online support group that I would recommend to any aspiring novelists with several thousand active members posting in categories ranging from genre writing to current manuscript formatting standards.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php