Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visualizing the characters
Do you base the heroine's look on the cover art? Go with the author's description? Imagine your own "look" for the characters based on your impressions of their personalities?

I "use" actors of any era, age appropriate to the character of course -- and even if said actor is elderly or deceased now. In the 1st novel [Mostly by Moonlight, by Dorothy Daniels], I visualized Eve as portrayed by Nancy Barrett in her early 20s. Jim as portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio in his early 20s. Elisha Tuttle portrayed by Ewan McGregor, mid-20s. Prof. Warren (Eve's father) portrayed by Peter Cushing (though sans the English accent), mid-40s.

Often it's difficult for me to outright visualize a character, so I like "using" actors who I think would fit the bill.
Bellatrix Wrote:Do you base the heroine's look on the cover art? Go with the author's description? Imagine your own "look" for the characters based on your impressions of their personalities?

I form a picture in my mind based on the author's description. I don't need to visualize the characters' looks too specifically. They are usually always attractive/handsome in my mind.

When I was writing novels, I would often use pictorials (like Miss November) from Playboy to inspire me to create and describe a character, as it was useful to have a variety of pictures and poses of the same attractive woman upon which to base a description.
Quote:I form a picture in my mind based on the author's description.

Thanks. I try to keep with that, "matching" the character with an actor.

In Ms. Daniels' novel, she describes Eve as blonde with violet eyes...and the cover art depicts Eve with black hair and brown eyes, lol.

Quote:When I was writing novels

Interesting. Smile I'm curious. Feel free to write a private PM if you like. Don't worry, I won't "talk your leg off" or ask personal questions.

Quote:I would often use pictorials (like Miss November) from Playboy to inspire me to create and describe a character, as it was useful to have a variety of pictures and poses of the same attractive woman upon which to base a description.

I see. Whatever works for the reader and/or writer. Wink

In Whistle for the Crows (Dorothy Eden) I'm visualizing Aunt Tilly as portrayed by Agnes Moorehead, mid-50s. Even though the description is rather different, lol. And Rory is Pierce Brosnan mid-30s.

Generally I visualize the heroine as beautiful, but approachable beautiful. More Lindsay Wagner/early 1970s good looks than Farrah Fawcett/mid-1970s.
I've never really thought about how I visualize female characters. Now that I think about it, though, I usually visualize the heroines as brunettes even though the character may be a blonde. I think it's because I'm from Latin extract and you go with what you most identify with.

I usually visualize the males as actors I find attractive. Unfortunately, I don't often find Gothic heroes attractive enough to even bother taking it to that level.

Interesting question!
Desdemona Wrote:I usually visualize the males as actors I find attractive. Unfortunately, I don't often find Gothic heroes attractive enough to even bother taking it to that level.

Big Grin Lol!

Chances are I'll always find at least 1 male character to have a crush on. It's a "must"...including in movies. Rolleyes

Lately I'm rather taken with Ralph Fiennes. He's going to make an appearance in one of these novels, yessiree. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Memorable characters tamtam 1 7,484 11-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Last Post: MysteryMind