Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Doll - Daphne du Maurier short story collection
On 5th May 2011 Virago press are publishing an anthology of 13 ‘forgotten’ short stories, written by Daphne du Maurier early on in her career. The titular story, lost for more than 70 years, is a macabre tale about a man who discovers that the girl he's smitten with is besotted with a mechanical sex doll.

It sounds intriguing and I’m looking forward to this collection. Here’s a description taken from the Virago website:

'I want to know if men realise when they are insane. Sometimes I think that my brain cannot hold together, it is filled with too much horror - too much despair ...I cannot sleep, I cannot close my eyes without seeing his damned face. If only it had been a dream.'

In 'The Doll', a waterlogged notebook is washed ashore. Its pages tell a dark story of obsession and jealousy. But the fate of its narrator is a mystery. Many of the stories in this haunting collection have only recently been discovered. Most were written early in Daphne du Maurier's career, yet they display her mastery of atmosphere, tension and intrigue and reveal a cynicism far beyond her years.

More information can be found at the Virago press website here:

http://www.viragobooks.net/new-collectio...u-maurier/

Messages In This Thread
The Doll - Daphne du Maurier short story collection - by sara - 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daphne du Maurier interview paigenumber 2 12,840 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Last Post: AliceChell