Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Prisoner of Ingecliffe by Jean Bellamy
What you say is true. I have read many fraudulent book descriptions that would have made excellent gothic romances. Why so many authors didn't adhere more closely to what was liked and wanted by readers is a mystery to me. Some of them, I guess, just weren't capable of the intricacy involved. From my experience of the very good gothics I have read, writing one would be far from an unskilled art. To balance the importance to a gothic story of potent mood and atmosphere, full and rich setting, engaging characterization and mysteries worth solving, seems to me no mean feat. Perhaps many writers just didn't want to try that hard? Especially if the money was as easily made with a book of inferior quality.
I usually take it more in stride when I end up with a cheating back blurb. But I saw such tempting possibilities in this one that I guess it was harder to get over the disappointment. Also, this writer had a talent, I believe, that was capable of far more than it produced. I would readily try another of her books. Who knows, she(?) may have done better in another.
Thanks for commenting!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Prisoner of Ingecliffe by Jean Bellamy - by AliceChell - 09-24-2010, 08:01 AM