Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Witching Hour by Rona Randall
(12-29-2017, 10:35 PM)paigenumber Wrote: It seems I have run across this author before but I can't be sure.  I like her writing style.

This book was published in 1970 and based on other books I've read from that time period, it seems that witches and satanic cults were prevalent themes back then.  This one took place on a fictional Channel Island.  Though it deviates a little from the traditional Gothic, I would still classify it as one.  The deviations are (for me) as follows: hero and heroine had fallen in love prior to the start of events in the novel, heroine is strong and seems to have a forceful personality as well as very liberated ideas about sex, hero has a very minor physical part.

Essentially, Helen is invited to the island to write an article about some semi-precious stones that were found in a quarry there.  However, it was hinted that she might find a bigger story.  When she gets there, she discovers that her true love died in a terrible accident.  She stays on to investigate some satanic rituals as it seemed to be related to her boyfriend's death.

Not the best Gothic but a pretty good one after several duds I have read.  This rates a "B" from me.

Rona Randall! I haven't thought of that name in a long time.  I know I've read Knight's Keep, and liked it.  I'll have to look for this one.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Witching Hour by Rona Randall - by Penfeather - 12-30-2017, 05:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to Love by Rona Randall tamtam 0 5,225 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Last Post: tamtam