Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow Sinister, by Elsie Lee [1969]
Sad 
I like the cover art:

http://tinyurl.com/4qzudm

That's about it. :-\

I began this novel around June, stopped reading about 1/4 way through and actually almost forgot about it! Earlier today I briefly considered picking it up again (after I'm finished with the current novel)...then figured *why*? I know myself, and if it's forgettable...forget it.

The characters, including the main, are haphazardly introduced. Even well into the story the characters (with two exceptions) are not well formed. It's a social peripheral jumble.

The story's lead female character finds herself surrounded by men, at the expedition. This too is awkwardly written. She's either feeling adrift in a little sea of men or she's isolated.

This novel has an entirely different tone to that of "Season of Evil," also by Elsie Lee...which I also didn't finish because imo that novel isn't a Gothic. "Season of Evil" is well written, but is not a Gothic; at least halfway into it I was still waiting for "gothicness."

I hope Ms. Lee's other works are more rewarding. I have 2 or 3 other novels of hers.

Anyway, "Barrow Sinister" gets 1 star on a scale of 1 - 5.

Hopefully I'm not selling the novel short. But my overall advice would be to skip it.

Messages In This Thread
Barrow Sinister, by Elsie Lee [1969] - by Bellatrix - 09-18-2008, 05:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loch Sinister by Marilyn Ross Penfeather 2 11,591 04-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  Mansion of Golden Windows by Elsie Lee Charybdis 0 5,563 10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Charybdis
  Wingarden by Elsie Lee Charybdis 0 5,471 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  "The Queen Bee" by Edna Lee paigenumber 2 10,687 08-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SAMNINALGA