Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Strange Case of Lucile Clery by Joseph Shearing
A Gothic Suspense Novel by Joseph Shearing (who is Gabrielle Margaret Long). Also published as Lucile Clery: Woman of Intrigue, and Forget-Me-Not.

This is the first book I have read from this author and although it has some gothic elements (and a nice gothic cover), it is not the usual gothic romance I have read. If anyone has read this book or plans to read this book, I would like to be able to have a discussion about it. After finishing it, I was left feeling that the author intentionally left things out in order to keep the reader in suspense. I do not believe all the details were as straightforward as portrayed.

Synopsis: A young, half-French, half-English woman born illegitimate in the late Regency era must make her way in the world as a teacher and governess under several different names. She was a Bonapartist and resented the return of the monarchy. Her one desire was to topple the house of Orleans but given her lowly status, this was a seemingly impossible task. Fortuitously, she returns to France as a governess to the children of a family with close ties to the monarchy. Though she was not directly responsible for the ensuing French revolution, the author implies that what happens during her time in this household contributed to the uproar.

That is as much as I can say without giving out spoilers. However, I would love to discuss further with anyone who has read the book.

Messages In This Thread
The Strange Case of Lucile Clery by Joseph Shearing - by paigenumber - 11-27-2014, 10:38 PM