Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[BIBLIO] Mary Stewart
Yes, you're missing a hidden Gothic gem!

She wrote a small book that is essentially a novella (about 100 pages or so) called "The Wind Off the Small Isles." It's almost like an early draft from one of her other classic Gothic novels, but, for whatever reason, she didn't expand it to full-length.

It was printed and released in the UK by Hodder & Stoughton and I bought my copy on ebay a few years ago. Copies can be hard to find (it was only ever released in hardcover) but they are out there. It's worth it too if you can't get enough Stewart. It's not her best work, by any means, but it's as good or better than her last couple of so-so novels.

I also recommend her juvenile novel "A Walk In Wolf Wood." Not a Gothic, exactly, but it's perhaps her one book that's a combination of the King Arthur and the romantic suspense stuff. It's an enjoyable read if you can't get enough Stewart.

She also wrote two other juvenile novels: "The Little Broomstick" and "Ludo and the Star Horse," both worthy reads but much more juvenile in tone than "Wolf Wood."

Messages In This Thread
[BIBLIO] Mary Stewart - by paigenumber - 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
RE: [BIBLIO] Mary Stewart - by maisonvivante - 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
RE: [BIBLIO] Mary Stewart - by bronte - 08-13-2010, 04:48 PM
RE: [BIBLIO] Mary Stewart - by Monique Devereaux - 08-14-2010, 05:24 PM
RE: [BIBLIO] Mary Stewart - by AliceChell - 08-14-2010, 09:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BIBLIO] Victoria Holt MysteryMind 6 23,531 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Monique Devereaux