Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theresa Charles
I'm not sure what nationality she was, but is anyone familiar with Theresa Charles? My mom and I loved her books back in the gothic days, but could only ever find 3 published by her.

I still have one called "Fairer Than She" and it was my Mom's favorite book. I would love to know more about this author is anyone has any info?
Irene Mossop
born
December 06, 1904 in The United Kingdom

Born in 1904, Irene Maude Mossop was the daughter of solicitor Robert Mossop, and his wife Maude Binford Eyre. She was educated at a private school, and - the early death of her father making it necessary to earn a living - turned to writing at a young age. She married ex-RAF officer Charles John Swatridge in 1934, and moved with him to Middlecombe Farm, near Kingsbridge, Devon, in 1942. In addition to her many girls' school stories, and other children's novels, Mossop also wrote adult romances under a variety of pseudonyms, including: Theresa Charles, Fay Chandos, Leslie Lance, Virginia Storm, and Jan Tempest. She died in 1988.

source
Thank you so much! I recognize the name Jan Tempest. I had no idea she had written under so many names. I'll have to look for her other books. Wish my Mom was still around...she would have loved knowing this. Thanks again!
(08-04-2011, 03:03 AM)Charybdis Wrote: Irene Mossop
born
December 06, 1904 in The United Kingdom

Born in 1904, Irene Maude Mossop was the daughter of solicitor Robert Mossop, and his wife Maude Binford Eyre. She was educated at a private school, and - the early death of her father making it necessary to earn a living - turned to writing at a young age. She married ex-RAF officer Charles John Swatridge in 1934 and moved with him to Middlecombe Farm, near Kingsbridge, Devon, in 1942. In addition to her many girls' school stories, and other children's novels, Mossop also wrote adult romances under a variety of pseudonyms, including Theresa Charles, Fay Chandos, Leslie Lance, Virginia Storm, and Jan Tempest. She died in 1988.

source

I would like to say that buddy you have shared such a nice information about Theresa Charles with all of us. She is a nice guy as we and assume that after reading her books and watching films. She had strong imaginations. Anyway, jace she had a British nationality.
As all of you have interest in books and know about the writers too so here i have a question from you guys that do you like to share with me the name of book of Theresa Charles. I am sue you all like to let it know others too.
CHARLES, THERESA; pseudonym of Irene Maude Swatridge & Charles John Swatridge; other pseudonyms: Leslie Lance & Jan Tempest
         * The Burning Beacon (Cassell, UK, 1956, hc) Lancer, 1966.
         * Fairer Than She (Cassell, UK, 1953, hc) Dell, 1968.
         * Happy Now I Go (Longman[s], UK, 1947, hc) U.S. title: Dark Legacy. Dell, 1968.
         * House on the Rocks (Hale, UK, 1962, hc) Paperback Library, 1966.
         * The Man for Me (Hale, UK, 1965, hc) U.S. title: The Shrouded Tower. Ace, 1966.
         * Nurse Alice in Love (Hale, UK, 1964, hc) U.S. title: Lady in the Mist. Ace, 1966.
         * Proud Citadel (Hale, UK, 1967, hc) Dell, 1967.
         * Widower’s Wife (Hale, UK, 1963, hc) U.S. title: Return to Terror. Paperback Library, 1966.
      LANCE, LESLIE; pseudonym of Irene Maude Swatridge; other pseudonyms: Theresa Charles & Jan Tempest
         * The Bride of Emersham (Pyramid, 1967, pb) British title?
         * Dark Stranger (Low, UK, 1946, hc)
         * The Girl in the Mauve Mini (Hale, UK, 1979, hc)
         * The House in the Woods (Ace, 1973, pb) British title?
      TEMPEST, JAN; pseudonym of Irene Maude Swatridge; other pseudonyms: Theresa Charles & Leslie Lance
         * House of the Pines (Mills, UK, 1946, hc) Ace, 1968.

(11-05-2016, 06:29 AM)sidjohn Wrote: As all of you have interest in books and know about the writers too so here i have a question from you guys that do you like to share with me the name of book of Theresa Charles. I am sue you all like to let it know others too.