Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rona Randall
I've read and enjoyed a few of her gothics; one I'd particularly recommend is Knight's Keep first published in the UK in 1967.

She has also written a writing handbook called Writing Popular Fiction - has anyone read this?
(11-02-2010, 08:28 PM)sara Wrote: I've read and enjoyed a few of her gothics; one I'd particularly recommend is Knight's Keep first published in the UK in 1967.

She has also written a writing handbook called Writing Popular Fiction - has anyone read this?

Not I. But I've read Knight's Keep, and enjoyed it. I'm glad you brought up her name; I'm reminded to look for more of her books.
(11-04-2010, 12:47 AM)Penfeather Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 08:28 PM)sara Wrote: I've read and enjoyed a few of her gothics; one I'd particularly recommend is Knight's Keep first published in the UK in 1967.

Not I. But I've read Knight's Keep, and enjoyed it. I'm glad you brought up her name; I'm reminded to look for more of her books.

The blurb on my edition of Knight's Keep states it was nominated for a major award from the Romantic Novelists Association and Dragonmede is another one of her titles that has been recommended to me which I am currently on the look out for.

I would be curious to read her handbook on writing popular fiction and what she has to say about writing gothics, I always love reading what people have to say about writing within this genre!
Good news, I found a copy of Dragonmede yesterday at a local jumble sale. A Fontana paperback edition published in 1975, the cover art ticks all the right boxes. There is an excerpt on the inside cover which reads:

"There was a stirring in the house. Not of people. It was more like a message coming to me through the atmosphere. I wasn't afraid; but I was curious.
I groped for a candle, lit it, pulled on a robe and went barefoot out into the corridor. Shadows cast by the candle flame danced up the walls, lurked amongst the carved ceilings, lay in wait in the spreading darkness ahead..."

I can't wait to read more!
...barefoot... Sad

That doesn't bode well.