Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's your favorite American author?
Who's your favorite American gothic author? Why is that author your favorite?
Barbara Michaels is my favorite. It's hard to say why except that I've enjoyed everything I've read from her. She writes some eerie ghost stories and her historical Gothics are among the best of any Gothic author. Barbara Michaels is one of her pen names. I have never read any written under her other name, Elizabeth Peters. I should check those out.
I wonder why authors write under different names. Wouldn't they be more popular if they used the same name for all of there books? They'd have more name recognition.

Anyway, I do not recall reading anything by Barbara Michaels. I may have and just don't remember, though. I'll try some of her books out.
The reasons for using pseudonyms are varied. Some choose different names for different genres of books. Some do it because they churn out so many books a year that they might lose credibility in the market. (If you see that a writer produces several novels a year, you might not think the books were well-written.) Some do it to hide their identity until they are assured of success in their field.
Barbara Michaels and Phyllis Whitney are the queens of American gothics, in my opinion. Michaels' books are the more innovative of the two, in that she sometimes uses actual supernatural elements, and sometimes sticks with the more traditional Gothic romance formula. Whitney excells at using real locations in her books. Her real gift is creating realistic mysteries in real American locations, and as an American, I've had fun seeing my country as a Gothic setting. So often Gothic conjures up images of old European castles, but Whitney can take a modern American house built on a flat prairie and make it "Gothic."

I guess Michaels is the one who comes closest to matching the literary craftsmaship of a du Maurier or Mary Stewart.
I am new here as a poster but read some posts and stuff that posters have left. I know, and you can call me old school, but I haven't found a good author since 19th century between 1800-1880. Sorry, just haven't. Some good ones I suppose just not great. I am found of Frankenstein myself, but my favorite works are Fall of the House of Usher and Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe. I know he only wrote poems and short stories and not necessarily novels, but those have been my all time favorite.
m1tal1k Wrote:I am new here as a poster but read some posts and stuff that posters have left. I know, and you can call me old school, but I haven't found a good author since 19th century between 1800-1880. Sorry, just haven't. Some good ones I suppose just not great. I am found of Frankenstein myself, but my favorite works are Fall of the House of Usher and Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe. I know he only wrote poems and short stories and not necessarily novels, but those have been my all time favorite.

Old school or new school, we are here to discuss Gothic literature. Some of us would prefer to read the old stuff, some the new. But to share your opinions, which modern (20th century) authors have you liked? I think the purpose of this forum is to help lovers of Gothic literature to find and read good stories. If we can get recommendations of the good, we can better avoid all the trashy novels. It's unfortunate that so many trashy novels have been published under "Gothic" that it has received a bad name.
So far mine is Florence Hurd. She passed away at age 88 last year, penned 32 novels. I found an online article:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/07/...7746f3.txt

I have found, on the 'net, some really beautiful cover art for a handful of her novels. They can be viewed at Fantasticfiction.co.uk [Google with Florence Hurd Fantastic Fiction] or you can visit my blog:

http://garnetnight.blogspot.com

I'm currently reading a novel of Ms. Hurd's, have 2 more on the way [if Monique reads this, she knows "Wyndspelle" wasn't my final mail order after all...lol!]
Hi Bellatrix: Thanks for the link to your blog. Very interesting! And a special thanks for including the link to gothicnovellover.com. I've actually come across a few books I read year ago and have forgotten about. Seeing the cover was a perfect reminder.

(I really love this forum with all the info at my fingertips!!!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overrated American Authors readertim 9 38,456 08-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Last Post: romanticdress
  What American gothic authors do you read? readertim 10 38,476 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Bastet
Question Any good American authors? fallover 11 43,508 05-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Last Post: coramunroe