Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Gothic Films
In my opinion the best atmospheric gothic horror films were by the Italian directors Ricarrdo Freda, Mario Bava and Antonio Margaretti. Specifically the ones starring Barbara Steele. From a visual standpoint none of the American films matched Bava's "The Mask of Satan" or Margaretti's "Castle of Blood".Artist publisher Bill Black did this pen and ink drawing of Barbara Steele from "Castle of Blood" that was used for a fanzine back in the 60s.

Derek

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cool! She was 'Julia Hoffman' the 2nd in the Dark Shadows revival series. I've heard alot about her other less known acting roles.
Unfortunately only 2 of Barbara's classic horror films have been restored, "Castle of Blood" and "The Mask of Satan". The other films are still waiting to get the grand treatment. There are 2 good quality transfers by Retromedia however. One is titled "The Faceless Monster" which is a complete version of Margaretti's "Nightmare Castle".The other is a double bill "Dead Eyes of London" and Ricarrdo Freda's "The Ghost" starring Barbara Steele at her evil best!There maybe a good quality dvd copy of "The Long Hair of Death" since a bootleg vhs transfer I have is very good quality.

Derek
Thanks for posting the pen and ink drawing of Barbara. I've been a Barbara Steele fan for a long time! I have a DVD of "The Long Hair of Death" that I think I got from Amazon. The image is quite good, but a bit "light". My personal favorite is "The Terror of Dr. Hichcock". Still waiting for that one to get a nice restoration. Here's a particularly gothic still from this movie.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-21-2009, 10:10 AM)Monique Devereaux Wrote: Thanks for posting the pen and ink drawing of Barbara. I've been a Barbara Steele fan for a long time! I have a DVD of "The Long Hair of Death" that I think I got from Amazon. The image is quite good, but a bit "light". My personal favorite is "The Terror of Dr. Hichcock". Still waiting for that one to get a nice restoration. Here's a particularly gothic still from this movie.

Hi,

If you are a Barbara Steele fan do yourself a favor and visit this site. It's the oldest fan site concerning Barbara and is occasionally frequented by her friends who drop little anecdotes about her every once in a while. This site also will be where up to date info concerning official releases of Barbara's films will come from before there's any public announcement.Tons of vintage photos and more...http://tinyurl.com/n59xe7

Derek
Ah, Mask of Satan and Terror of Dr Hitchcock were such atmospheric films! Film with necrophilia could be, ahem, wall-to-wall filth and sleaze, but Terror is a story of strong, perverse atmosphere. Mask of Satan is a classic, and Dark Shadows was great, too.
Other gothic films I like very much:
Universal films
Hammer movies
Dracula (1979)
Bram Stoker´s Dracula (1992)
Mary Shelley´s Frankenstein
(07-12-2009, 04:34 PM)GothicRomance Wrote: Ah, Mask of Satan and Terror of Dr Hitchcock were such atmospheric films! Film with necrophilia could be, ahem, wall-to-wall filth and sleaze, but Terror is a story of strong, perverse atmosphere. Mask of Satan is a classic, and Dark Shadows was great, too.
Universal films
Hammer movies
Dracula (1979)

I'm also a huge fan of Bela Lugosi's Dracula Smile
I'm a huge fan of black and white films in general, but Tim Burton has made quite a splash with his contribution to gothic cinema. or is it just me?

my list -

Rebecca
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Phantom of the Opera
Nosferatu
The Black Cat
Beatleguise (i think that's how you spell it...)
Edard Scissorhands
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (absolutely BRILLIANT)
Sweeney Todd
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Corpse Bride

any other reccomendations?
(12-05-2010, 04:14 PM)Bellatrix Lestrange Wrote: [quote='GothicRomance' pid='1540' dateline='1247430858']
Ah, Mask of Satan and Terror of Dr Hitchcock were such atmospheric films! Film with necrophilia could be, ahem, wall-to-wall filth and sleaze, but Terror is a story of strong, perverse atmosphere. Mask of Satan is a classic, and Dark Shadows was great, too.
Universal films
Hammer movies
Dracula (1979)

I'm also a huge fan of Bela Lugosi's Dracula Smile
I'm a huge fan of black and white films in general, but Tim Burton has made quite a splash with his contribution to gothic cinema. or is it just me?

my list -

Rebecca
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Phantom of the Opera
Nosferatu
The Black Cat
Beatleguise (i think that's how you spell it...)
Edard Scissorhands
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (absolutely BRILLIANT)
Sweeney Todd
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Corpse Bride

any other

nighmare castle
the asphyx
slaughter of the vampires
abominable dr phibes
dr phibes rises again
blancheville monster aka horror
son of dr jekyll
kill baby kill (excellent movie)
The Innocents (1961) starring Deborah Kerr as the governess. It has probably been mentioned in this forum before. In my opinion, this is one case of the film adaptation being better than the book (The Turn of the Screw). Sorry, Henry James fans.

The Innocents also has the best ghosts (in my opinion) of any film. They look like old daguerrotypes, and almost flicker. Creepier than any CGI effect I've seen.
My favorite gothic movies
13. House of Usher (1960)
12. Viy (1967)
11. Kwaidan (1964)
10. Rebecca (1940)
9. The Gorgon (1964)
8. I walked with Zombie (1943)
7. The Mummy (1932)
6. The Castle of Blood (1964)
5. Dracula (1958)
4. Haunting (1963)
3. Frankenstein (1931)
2. The Mask of Satan (1960)
1. Nosferatu Symphony of Horror (1922)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gothic movies fallover 47 163,109 10-19-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Life Is A Dream
  Two Gothic Romance Book Give Aways!! StacyLynn 0 6,635 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Last Post: StacyLynn
  Harlequin Shivers (gothic romance line) Cherchezlafemme 7 30,365 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Jane Godman
  Gothic romance as you never knew it! blackstone 2 13,920 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Last Post: blackstone
  Gothic Movies: The Shuttered Room Monique Devereaux 6 24,902 10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  Gothic series: housekeeper heroine Miranda 3 15,433 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  gothic songs? bronte 4 16,010 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Last Post: SpookySweetness
  old, musty gothic books coramunroe 6 21,930 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Penfeather
  Gothic Questionnaire Gorfette85 2 9,966 06-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Gorfette85
  this series is NOT gothic but... bronte 1 9,956 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: bronte