Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touch not the cat by Mary Stewart
Shy 
1970's. After the death of her father Bryony Ashley returns to her home, an ancient castle in central England. Because of a trust only male relatives can inherit the property. This doesn't bother her because the upkeep of the castle and grounds costs more than the revenues brought in by tourists. Bryony's father made a lot of cryptic remarks on his deathbed, one being that she is in danger, and she intends to solve these puzzles searching the castle.

This book had a lot of layers. There is this very interesting castle with a lot of history. What happened to the Ashley family in the past still has its effect on the present. Every chapter ends with a flashback to the year 1835. Then there is the Ashley gift, the ability to communicate by thoughts alone. Bryony has this gift, though she never was really sure which one of her cousins was the counterpart who spoke to her.

I thought this was a very good and original story. The descriptions of the buildings, the flora, the fauna and the people made visualizing very easy and created a nice mood. The end of the book just might have done with a little less lucky coincidences.

My verdict: 8 out of 10
(04-25-2009, 04:08 PM)Charybdis Wrote: 1970's. After the death of her father Bryony Ashley returns to her home, an ancient castle in central England. Because of a trust only male relatives can inherit the property. This doesn't bother her because the upkeep of the castle and grounds costs more than the revenues brought in by tourists. Bryony's father made a lot of cryptic remarks on his deathbed, one being that she is in danger, and she intends to solve these puzzles searching the castle.

This book had a lot of layers. There is this very interesting castle with a lot of history. What happened to the Ashley family in the past still has its effect on the present. Every chapter ends with a flashback to the year 1835. Then there is the Ashley gift, the ability to communicate by thoughts alone. Bryony has this gift, though she never was really sure which one of her cousins was the counterpart who spoke to her.

I thought this was a very good and original story. The descriptions of the buildings, the flora, the fauna and the people made visualizing very easy and created a nice mood. The end of the book just might have done with a little less lucky coincidences.

My verdict: 8 out of 10

I really enjoyed reading this book many, many years ago, It is one of the few that I remember very vividly, I think Mary Stewart writes very well so that you get really engrossed in the tale. I agree with you re the ending seeming to rely on luck. I must see if I can find that book and re-read it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The House of Ravensbourne by Mary Ann Gibbs paigenumber 0 4,633 12-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart Drossler 4 18,295 08-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Fiddlette
  The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart Penfeather 9 28,479 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Last Post: MysteryMind
Sad A Man From the Mist by Mary Elgin Charybdis 0 6,606 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  Cat & Mouse bronte 0 5,000 11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Last Post: bronte
  Widow's Walk by Mary Bishop coramunroe 0 6,125 11-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Last Post: coramunroe
  Shadow of a Cat by Poppy Nottingham paigenumber 0 5,365 07-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Last Post: paigenumber
  "Shadow of Danger" by Mary Forker Ford fallover 0 6,681 07-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Last Post: fallover
Big Grin Mask of the Night by Mary Ryan (1997) Desdemona 0 6,746 11-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Desdemona
  Thunder on the Right by Mary Stewart Drossler 0 6,789 07-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Drossler