Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings
I'm happy to be part of this group. Hello! I love Gothic Romance such as the books of Phyllis Whitney.

My Gothic novel, Encore: A Contemporary Love Story of Hypnotic Abduction follows an understudy, Miriam, who is regularly hypnotized to believe she's the star of the show whom she occasionally pretends to be on stage, to make it more believable for the audience that she is really Susan. It was fun to describe the British theater life at the beginning of the novel, especially their shows tell the history of moldavite, which is the rarest of gems and was created from a meteor. Researching instances of moldavite in mythology was intriguing, as it was used by competing factions to each lay claim to inheritance of supernatural powers. I looked into how Shambhala and Atlantis myths were used to try to convince countries to become military allies. So while some of the novel includes fictional history, most of the history is true and demonstrates how the political polarization we see today has gone on for a long time.

Susan's husband, Dune, is the resident hypnotist and he and Miriam, who looks uncannily like Susan, have strong chemistry. Miriam imagines a life with him, maybe after the ailing Susan dies. She has her chance when Susan disappears right before her last show, Miriam is called to take over, is hypnotized, and then, before the post-hypnotic suggestion would normally be broken, Dune whisks her away to a friend's isolated castle where things are kept as they were in the past. She still believes she is Susan, so when Miriam's friend Colin shows up, she has no idea who he is, and Dune tells her the man is a crazed criminal.

The book was chosen by BestThrillers.com as one of the twelve best Thrillers of the year.

I drafted a book called How to Write a Gothic Novel and I plan to finish and release it in the next year or two. I'd like to include thoughts by other Gothic authors in it.

Thank you for this forum, and I'm looking forward to immersing myself in the community.
Hello! It's been quiet lately on here, so be patient.
Lots of good information to go over from previous months/years to go through in the meantime.
Hi, Carrie,

Thank you, no problem.

Because I teach fiction writing and edit manuscripts, I've also got my hands in Gothic manuscripts from time to time. That's what got me looking more closely into the genre conventions originally, though I've always loved books like Rebecca and Wuthering Heights.

I'm curious how the authors here feel about the Amazon category of Gothic Romance, since much of the new material I see there seems more like Paranormal Romance to me.
(01-28-2019, 02:31 PM)tantra Wrote: Hi, Carrie,

Thank you, no problem.

Because I teach fiction writing and edit manuscripts, I've also got my hands in Gothic manuscripts from time to time. That's what got me looking more closely into the genre conventions originally, though I've always loved books like Rebecca and Wuthering Heights.

I'm curious how the authors here feel about the Amazon category of Gothic Romance, since much of the new material I see there seems more like Paranormal Romance to me.

I personally think many of the books are being categorized wrong. Not all Gothic is paranormal and not all paranormal is Gothic. And just because there is "dark" subject matter, doesn't mean it's Gothic in nature.  It's a pet peeve of mine, so that's all I'll say about that to avoid going "off" about it.  Big Grin
I hear ya, sistah!