Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow Sinister, by Elsie Lee [1969]
Sad 
I like the cover art:

http://tinyurl.com/4qzudm

That's about it. :-\

I began this novel around June, stopped reading about 1/4 way through and actually almost forgot about it! Earlier today I briefly considered picking it up again (after I'm finished with the current novel)...then figured *why*? I know myself, and if it's forgettable...forget it.

The characters, including the main, are haphazardly introduced. Even well into the story the characters (with two exceptions) are not well formed. It's a social peripheral jumble.

The story's lead female character finds herself surrounded by men, at the expedition. This too is awkwardly written. She's either feeling adrift in a little sea of men or she's isolated.

This novel has an entirely different tone to that of "Season of Evil," also by Elsie Lee...which I also didn't finish because imo that novel isn't a Gothic. "Season of Evil" is well written, but is not a Gothic; at least halfway into it I was still waiting for "gothicness."

I hope Ms. Lee's other works are more rewarding. I have 2 or 3 other novels of hers.

Anyway, "Barrow Sinister" gets 1 star on a scale of 1 - 5.

Hopefully I'm not selling the novel short. But my overall advice would be to skip it.
Thank you, Bellatrix. I just came across your review. I've had this book for months and only managed the first few pages, so far. It did not grab me right away, so I still have not gotten back to it. Now, I'm not sure I ever will.
I have Mansion of Golden Windows by Elsie Lee is my TBR pile. Have you read that one?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loch Sinister by Marilyn Ross Penfeather 2 11,592 04-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  Mansion of Golden Windows by Elsie Lee Charybdis 0 5,564 10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Charybdis
  Wingarden by Elsie Lee Charybdis 0 5,472 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  "The Queen Bee" by Edna Lee paigenumber 2 10,691 08-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SAMNINALGA