Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Old English Baron
Reading the Classic Gothics is like reading an entirely different genre of books. The setting is medieval and although they were written in the 18th century, the themes are medieval. It is surprising that they were so well-enjoyed in a day and age when men and women seemed to be so frivolous. The stories are concerned with the battle between good and evil and the reader is aware goodness will triumph. "The Old English Baron" by Clara Reeve is a very good example of this. The Gothic element is represented by the supernatural forces, but otherwise, it is a tale of virtues. The tone and language of the book is so different from what one reads today, that it may be heavy reading for some. It is ironic that the Classic Gothics were viewed so disdainfully in their time, yet they have become in essence, literature today.
I think you are right.

I find that classic gothics seem to have a much more basic view of good and evil. There's the bad guys and good guys, and the good guys win. Newer books often have more complex views, and good and bad aren't always so different.
Some people were frivolous in the 18th century. The privileged were not the majority. Many were working hard and starving to death. Writers of the era took the social ills of the time seriously. Novels written during that period give us a much more accurate view of the times than those written today do when authors tend to romanticize the period.
ginnystrait Wrote:Some people were frivolous in the 18th century. The privileged were not the majority. Many were working hard and starving to death. Writers of the era took the social ills of the time seriously. Novels written during that period give us a much more accurate view of the times than those written today do when authors tend to romanticize the period.

I agree with you, ginnystrait. What I found amazing is that the Gothic novel with these serious themes were so well-received. Obviously, the poor weren't reading much because they neither had the time nor the money. Those who were in a position to make social changes because they believed in them would have considered these novels trash. That left the frivolous, privileged young ladies of society to enjoy them. That they would is mind-boggling. Since I am not living in their world, it's hard for me to contemplate the reason they were popular. However, I'm glad they were.