Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers
Locales for new gothics? - Printable Version

+- Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com)
+-- Forum: Gothic Romances (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Gothic Romance Discussion (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Locales for new gothics? (/showthread.php?tid=1649)

Pages: 1 2

Locales for new gothics? - Penfeather - 08-31-2013

A topic of possible relevance to the authors on this forum: an exploration of suitable locales for new gothics, since there seems to be at least a glimmer of rekindled interest in the genre among publishers and online.

We all know the classic settings: i.e., Cornwall, the moors of Yorkshire or Devon; the northeastern United States; the bayous of Louisiana . . . but what about places that offer equally atmospheric possibilities for gothic stories that aren't used so frequently? Here are several that come to mind:

(1) The Northeast above New England -- counties around Halifax; islands (real or fictitious) in the Gulf of St. Lawrence; the Bay of Fundy (the foggiest place on earth!); Prince Edward Island (it's not just for Anne of Green Gables); Nova Scotia; Newfoundland; Labrador; etc.

(2) The Northwestern USA -- the coastline from the north of California to the Canadian border abounds with rain-swept, fog-laden places that might inspire gothic tales.

(3) Inland USA -- a good gothic doesn't always have to include the presence of the sea, and surely there are lots of lonely, picturesque spots in the vast American interior that would inspire a writer's imagination . . . (help with being more specific?)

Any other ideas? It would be interesting to hear others' suggestions for places seldom or never thought of before, or which simply merit further use in gothics.

RE: Locales for new gothics? - GothicLover - 09-01-2013

(08-31-2013, 06:48 PM)Penfeather Wrote: A topic of possible relevance to the authors on this forum: an exploration of suitable locales for new gothics, since there seems to be at least a glimmer of rekindled interest in the genre among publishers and online.

We all know the classic settings: i.e., Cornwall, the moors of Yorkshire or Devon; the northeastern United States; the bayous of Louisiana . . . but what about places that offer equally atmospheric possibilities for gothic stories that aren't used so frequently? <snip>

Any other ideas? It would be interesting to hear others' suggestions for places seldom or never thought of before, or which simply merit further use in gothics.
How about Canada or Alaska? I would think British Columbia, and/or one of the many isolated islands along Canada's coast would be interesting settings.
Or New Zealand, Australia, the Caribbean and other islands in the South Pacific.
Dorothy Eden set her books in a variety of interesting locales. Providing historical and local info about such settings in a gothic romance would add to its appeal, IMHO.

RE: Locales for new gothics? - Penfeather - 09-01-2013

Quote:How about Canada or Alaska? I would think British Columbia, and/or one of the many isolated islands along Canada's coast would be interesting settings.
Or New Zealand, Australia, the Caribbean and other islands in the South Pacific.
Dorothy Eden set her books in a variety of interesting locales. Providing historical and local info about such settings in a gothic romance would add to its appeal, IMHO.

All of those sound interesting -- New Zealand in particular would make an interesting and unusual locale for a gothic set in the present or the past. Thanks for the suggestions!

RE: Locales for new gothics? - RareMale - 09-02-2013

I can remember one set in mining country out West. The family mausoleum opened into a mine shaft, as did the cellars of the house. I'm a sucker for secret passages in a creepy old mansion. All that Scooby Doo as a child, I guess. Smile

RE: Locales for new gothics? - Penfeather - 09-03-2013

(09-02-2013, 09:19 PM)RareMale Wrote: I can remember one set in mining country out West. The family mausoleum opened into a mine shaft, as did the cellars of the house. I'm a sucker for secret passages in a creepy old mansion. All that Scooby Doo as a child, I guess. Smile

I can relate! The Gold Country in California is full of weird lore and suggestive landscapes.

I'd like to read the book you mentioned -- do you remember the author or title, or any specifics that might narrow down a search?

RE: Locales for new gothics? - RareMale - 09-04-2013

I tried to remember the title but I can't. Sorry. I do know it was based on something like the Comstock Lode, so it was set in an almost ghost town in the Nevada silver country. It had the common story line where the son of a rich family brings his new bride home to the family mansion and all of his creepy relatives, and then someone tries to kill her off. I think there was also a previous wife, unknown to the new wife, in the mausoleum. Other than the mining stuff, it was a by-the-numbers Gothic. The cover of Griffin Towers by Joan Winslow looks about right but I can't find a synopsis. I don't think I liked it enough to keep it.

RE: Locales for new gothics? - Penfeather - 09-05-2013

(09-04-2013, 02:25 AM)RareMale Wrote: I tried to remember the title but I can't. Sorry. I do know it was based on something like the Comstock Lode, so it was set in an almost ghost town in the Nevada silver country. It had the common story line where the son of a rich family brings his new bride home to the family mansion and all of his creepy relatives, and then someone tries to kill her off. I think there was also a previous wife, unknown to the new wife, in the mausoleum. Other than the mining stuff, it was a by-the-numbers Gothic. The cover of Griffin Towers by Joan Winslow looks about right but I can't find a synopsis. I don't think I liked it enough to keep it.

Thank you regardless! I'll try to find Griffin Towers and take a chance. Even though you didn't like it very much, is Joan Winslow a good author in general? I can't find much information about her.

RE: Locales for new gothics? - Cherchezlafemme - 09-06-2013

I always loved Lucinda Baker's gothics set in the West: The Place of Devils in Arizona, I think, and Walk the Night Unseen in San Francisco.

RE: Locales for new gothics? - ShirleyJ - 01-02-2015

I read something last year by a self published author I heard about on twitter (but can't remember their name! 'll try to find the book) who'd set their book in the Lake District in the UK. There were a lot of mountains and lakes (obviously, being the Lake District) and lots of mist and strange little deserted islands in the middle of some of these lakes.

RE: Locales for new gothics? - GothicRomance - 05-22-2015

Some old castle in Central Europe - like Styrian schloss in Carmilla - would be grand.