Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers

Full Version: Advice on finding gothic romances like Clara Wimberly writes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I find it hard to find the kind of gothics I like. I don't like modern gothic, only historical that take place in the 1800's. I do like american and british both. I did really like Lord of the Far Island by Victoria Holt and I loved Clara Wimberly books. As you can tell I loved Jane Eyre. Anyone have some books written like these types of novels that they would care to write down for me? Either British or American. I recently sent off for some by B.C. Warren but have not received them yet. Thanks in advance.
(02-26-2010, 01:17 PM)janeeyre88 Wrote: [ -> ]I find it hard to find the kind of gothics I like. I don't like modern gothic, only historical that take place in the 1800's. I do like american and british both. I did really like Lord of the Far Island by Victoria Holt and I loved Clara Wimberly books. As you can tell I loved Jane Eyre. Anyone have some books written like these types of novels that they would care to write down for me? Either British or American. I recently sent off for some by B.C. Warren but have not received them yet. Thanks in advance.

I'm with you!! You might try the extensive booklists on this link:
http://GothicJournal.com

Look for the ones that are historicals (no asterisk) with "(gothic)" after them. Those are precisely the ones you are seeking.

You would also enjoy utilizing the Gothic Romance Lending Library available on that website. The catalog is available online, and if you send an email to the librarians, they will suggest some excellent titles/authors that fit the profile you're seeking.

Hope you find this helpful!
Thanks for your help. The gothic journal is great. I have found lots I like there.
Dorothy Daniels is one very prolific author that comes to mind. Others that wrote gothics set in the 1800s: Janis Flores ("Hawkshead" and "Peregrine House"), Margaret James ("Marionette", "The Haunting of Sarah Lessingham"), Dorothy Eden, Janet Louise Roberts, Carola Salisbury, Francesca Chimenti, to name a few. You can find these on Ebay, at second hand bookstores, or on-line as they are all out-of-print.

If you Google: "mystery file gothic" a treasure trove of gothic novels/authors come up via an excellent (although discontinued) website by Steve Lewis.

Current authors that write gothics are Eve Silver, Jennifer St. Giles and Erica Ridley.

One of my favorite tools to use is the website Fictiondb.com. Not every book by every author is listed, but many are and you can read the blurb on the cover to see if the book interests you (or if you've already read it).