Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers

Full Version: "The Waiting Sands" original cover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is the original cover art to "The Waiting Sands" by Susan Howatch. Ace Books published 1971 art by Jerome Podwil. I'll get a bigger scan of the art up later. The Original has a dark blue background. This came out more earth tone.

Derek
(01-13-2009, 09:00 PM)Gothmeister Wrote: [ -> ]This is the original cover art to "The Waiting Sands" by Susan Howatch. Ace Books published 1971 art by Jerome Podwil. I'll get a bigger scan of the art up later. The Original has a dark blue background. This came out more earth tone.

Derek

The original cover art provided is for one edition of ACE 87052 (probably published in late 1971 or 1972 as there is no date provided on the copyright page). However, the verso of this art has the following: a notation for an ACE 87051 (which I have not found a copy of yet; as well as a different title: With Murder in Mind and a date of "Oct. 71"; see attached). If you will note the ACE publication number on the cover art of the volume you have attached, you will see that it may be a re-number of old-new stock. This appears to have been a common practice with ACE Books.

With Murder in Mind is ACE 90001 (c. 1963, nd) by Jan Roffman (aka Margaret Summerton) - but I do not have a copy to see if this art was also used on this volume. Does anyone have a copy of this?

If this is not confusing enough, there is another ACE 87052 published (with a 1973 date and different cover art - see attached). Lastly, The Waiting Sands was originally published as ACE K-240 (1967). If someone has a copy of this please check the cover art. Thanks.