Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gothic Romance Novels that Don't End Happily
Hello from a newbie and long time lover of Gothic novels. I am a big fan of Barbara Michaels and others and have been since my early teen years. I am discovering other writers I like these days since I have read all of Michaels' works as well as the ones I can get my hands on of other favorites. I also have my degree in 18th century Brit. lit. and teach lit. which is like a dream job. Big Grin

I am wondering which of your favorite Gothic romance novels do not end well or leave you unsettled with the ending? I find some of those the most interesting. I am thinking of Barbara Michaels' 'Here I Stay,' for example, or 'Someone in the House.' They are unforgettable to me because of their unhappy (in a sense) endings. I don't want to spoil them for everyone else, though. I think DuMaurier's 'The House on the Strand' qualifies here as well, and there are probably others I'm just not thinking of at the moment.

Do you have favorite unhappy Gothic romances? If so, which ones and why?
The House on the Strand is one of my all-time favorites! Leaves you wondering...
welcome Burneyfan. I am a lifelong fan of Barbara Michaels as well and have to agree that Here I Stay stands out among the rest because of the downbeat ending. To me, the idea of lonely souls wandering the earth in search of rest is tragic to begin with, and my favorite ghost stories are those that do not end happily. Dark Water and The Changeling are two ghost films that come to mind, and of course the classic The Innocents / Turn of the Screw.

I just re-read Ammie, Come Home over the weekend. Considering it was written in 1968, a full three years before The Exorcist was published, it was chock full of musings on the nature of the supernatural and ghostly possession. While it did not have a tragic ending, it certainly set the bar high for Ms. Michaels' career. It treated the subject very seriously, and the author had clearly done her research. More Gothic than Romance, it was a fun "spooky" but light read. Also interesting to note that it was set in Georgetown / Washington DC, the same setting for Mr. Blatty's horror novel of demonic possession.

I'm looking forward to re-reading more Barbara Michaels supernatural Gothics as the autumn progresses!
Hi, Monique. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm going to be rereading a bunch of Michaels' novels, too, this year. I just love her work, and it's been a long time for me with reading about half of them. Smile Yes, 'Ammie Come Home' was scary and smart. I love that one... Smile

Lisa

http://gothicked.blogspot.com/
I just took a peak at your blog - here is a link to a Facebook page where a few members are posting some terrific cover scans.
Victoria Holt's "The legend of the seventh virgin" doesn't have a happy ending insofar that the heroine doesn't get the hero in the end because of her scheming to get possession of the estate. That makes this book one of my favorite Holts. I wish there were more books where the protagonist isn't a terribly nice person but you still wish to identify with her. Being able to create such a heroine says a lot about the accomplishments of the author.

I also admired the heroine of "Wideacre" by Philippa Gregory a lot. She was a really bad girl, but very interesting too.
I've re-read two Holts this year, Bride and Kirkland. Ultimately I was disappointed because, while the plots have all the Gothic tropes, their was ZERO atmosphere...I think it rained for one sentence in Bride. I need storms (and darkness). Give me STORMS!!!
I need to reread a bunch of the Holts. It has been such a long time; I will definitely reread 'The Legend of the Seventh Virgin' sooner rather than later on your recommendation, Charybdis.
And wow, thanks for the facebook page heads up. I didn't see that one.
I really WISH I knew the title of this book. I read it a long time ago. A young girl finds out about some sort of hereditary disease in her family. I can't remember if it was insanity or something else but whatever it was is hereditary . The young girl vowed she would never marry and have children for fear that she would pass on this hereditary thing. So all her life she turns away boyfriends and lives a lonely life. At the very end of the book when she is an old woman she discovered that she was ADOPTED and her efforts of her whole life was pointless. Anyone remember what this book is called?
I don't, bronte, but that is terribly sad.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying to find gothic I read years ago! Please help :-) sulaco2d 3 13,294 07-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Gothic Journal Newsletter GothicLover 1 5,187 05-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Carrie Dalby
  Best "Classic" Gothic list paigenumber 11 71,547 07-27-2018, 05:28 AM
Last Post: ZackFerrum
  Creating a Best Gothic Romance List maisonvivante 50 181,794 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Last Post: ZackFerrum
Exclamation Gothic Literature Resources on the Internet GothAdmin 15 61,070 07-23-2018, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  Elements of a bad Gothic paigenumber 7 18,496 01-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Jojo Lapin X
  Gothic Journal Newsletter GothicLover 1 7,544 12-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Penfeather
  The Beekeeper's Daughter -Gothic Romance by Jane Jordan janemarie1 1 8,648 10-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Last Post: GothicLover
  Looking for old gothic romance soche11 3 11,197 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Last Post: soche11
  Gothic/Gothic Romanic Suspense/Romantic Suspense gothicromancereader 11 50,160 08-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Last Post: janemarie1