Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artists swiping themselves
I had'nt really givin this much thought till I came across these two book covers, the first "Of Love Incarnate" by Jane Crowcroft and "The Devices of Darkness" by Jean English. The Crowcroft book was published before English's. The interesting thing is that the woman in the first book is identical in everyway to the later. It stands out when compared side by side. Even the perspective of the overall composition is identical. The most interesting thing to me is that the artist is swiping himself, not another artist which is much more prevalent.I think the model for the woman was probably taken from a picture of actress Barbara Rush. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Derek

Attached Files Image(s)

That is very interesting. The lady is identical and she is superimposed on two different buildings. Have you read the books? Is it possible it really is the same book under a different title and pseudonym. I can't say I've come across the same thing, although at times, it seems that I come across a cover that is very familiar. Unfortunately, I never have both books on hand to compare.
paigenumber Wrote:That is very interesting. The lady is identical and she is superimposed on two different buildings. Have you read the books? Is it possible it really is the same book under a different title and pseudonym. I can't say I've come across the same thing, although at times, it seems that I come across a cover that is very familiar. Unfortunately, I never have both books on hand to compare.

Hi,

Actually both pieces of art are all original I believe. No superimposing here. You can see that the womens right arm in the "Of love Incarnate" book is mostly hidden while in the "Devices of Darkness" her right arm is completely shown. Also the Jane Crowcroft (pseudonym for Peter Crowcroft) book was published by Popular Library in 1976 while the Jane English book was published by Pinnacle books in 1978. I might be able to find out more shortly.

Derek
this looks like another example of artist swiping him/herself. Same background, different figure. (Unless one is a blatant copy of the other - my eye is not discerning enough to tell)

Monique Devereaux Wrote:this looks like another example of artist swiping him/herself. Same background, different figure. (Unless one is a blatant copy of the other - my eye is not discerning enough to tell)

I'll have to look into this some. Most likely it is the same artist working from a preliminary study of the earlier art they used as a reference for the original. That background from the Dell cover reminds me of George Wilson's work for some reason. Wilson was a prolific artist for Dell publishing during the 60s and 70s. He did more painted comicbook covers for Dell than any artist I can think of.

Derek