Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I finish it?
Nice to see a post from you on this interesting subject. I agree that there seem to be a greater number of poorly written gothics published these days. I imagine this is the case in other genres, also, due to the current ease of self-publishing and electronic publishing.

I, too, cringe at poorly plotted gothics and those that have almost instant romance and/or sex, without any logical reason or build-up. The use of "attraction" and/or instant lust (only) to validate a relationship is not enough to warrant an instant serious relationship, IMHO.

I also commit to finishing a book, and I am lately often becoming disappointed by what I'm thus forced to wade through and/or endure. The typos, use of wrong words that sound the same as the right words, and unnecessary contractions (such as should've, would've, could've) make me skeptical that a book has been professionally written/edited.

Like you, I look at my to-be-read shelf of over 100 novels and wonder if I could possibly finish them all in my lifetime.

What I have been doing lately is almost exclusively reading e-books, as I'm enjoying the larger typefaces available and the ease of use. I like that my Kindle can read to me while I'm driving, too. If I come across an author I like, I seek out other books by that author, and favor those over gambling on a new author's books. With this approach, however, the books on that to-be-read shelf will probably be languishing there until the lights go out. ;o}

Messages In This Thread
Should I finish it? - by paigenumber - 11-06-2017, 09:06 PM
RE: Should I finish it? - by GothicLover - 11-13-2017, 03:00 AM
RE: Should I finish it? - by Penfeather - 11-14-2017, 12:35 AM
RE: Should I finish it? - by Penfeather - 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: Should I finish it? - by GothicLover - 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM
RE: Should I finish it? - by paigenumber - 11-19-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: Should I finish it? - by Penfeather - 11-25-2017, 07:17 AM
RE: Should I finish it? - by Night Wanderer - 11-21-2017, 04:01 PM
RE: Should I finish it? - by paigenumber - 11-21-2017, 07:04 PM
RE: Should I finish it? - by paigenumber - 12-02-2017, 08:57 PM