Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our strong heroines
These novels have proven a much-needed "thing." The timing was right to delve into this genre, which I definitely enjoy.

The heroines are the resourceful, intelligent, kindly, capable, efficient types of women I grew up admiring and trying to emulate.

The stories are gender equitable and fair [towards men] as well. That's another plus.

After years of having my feminine self-ideal and identity eroded somewhat (as it turns out, more than I'd realized; due to a series of unpleasant circumstances), these novels and their worthy heroines are re-strengthening/replenishing my feminine self-ideal and identity. Smile

If I may indulge a bit: Girl power!! Big Grin
Yes, I agree, but not all Gothics feature a strong, intelligent, resourceful female. I hate it when the heroine tends to be the sissy crybaby. I also hate it when said sissy crybaby suddenly becomes capable and efficient overnight without any signs that the person had a backbone to develop. In those cases, I wish the author would go back and redevelop the character.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions? Rachel.Stockey 3 17,286 05-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Last Post: GothicRomance