Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gothic movies
(06-18-2009, 01:43 PM)coramunroe Wrote: Would The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins qualify? There was a recent version made in 1996.

Or The Wyvern Mystery, made in 2000?

It does in my book. I have that version on VHS and watched it again during this past winter.
I just borrowed this Val Lewton DVD box set from someone. All of the movies in it are gothics of the atmospheric and dark psychological style. Most of them have a love interest in them but are certainly not "romance" in the usual sense of the word.

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Snatche...B000A0GOEQ

There are also a couple of Hammer box sets out there and--for those who torrent--there's a huge Hammer torrent floating around with over 10 movies in it.
hello everybody! i'm so interested in this forum and to find some friends than love vampire stories and movies! i'm very interested in this subject!
(07-14-2009, 12:54 PM)flyingvampire Wrote: hello everybody! i'm so interested in this forum and to find some friends than love vampire stories and movies! i'm very interested in this subject!

Welcome flying vampire! I share your interest! Tongue
About Hammer movies... I am definitely a fan!
"Midnight Lace" staring Rex Harrison and Doris Day.
The Uninvited, 1944
My Cousin Rachel
Experiment Perilous

And then again, Dark Shadows...the original series. I can't help myself. It's always my default option! Smile
I've mentioned "Night Gallery" before on this site. I own DVD's but if you want go on fancast.com and type in "Night Gallery" and you can watch episodes. If you only watch one episode in your life watch "THE CATERPILLAR" starring Laurence Harvey.
(09-19-2007, 02:03 AM)maisonvivante Wrote: Best Gothic Movies (in my opinion, of course!)
In chronological order:
1.  Rebecca--1940--directed by Alfred Hitchcock
2.  The Uninvited--1940something--Brother and sister buy a haunted house.  Fun, scary Gothic
3.  Dragonwyck--1940something--starring Gene Tierney who move to her cousin's mysterious mansion
4.  The Innocents--1960something--GREAT adaptation of "The Turn of the Screw" starring Deborah Kerr as the governess for two charismatic/demonic children.
5.  The Haunting--1960something--starring Julie Harris.  Adapted from Shirley Jackson's novel about a woman in a haunted house investigation.
6.  The Legend of Hell House--1970something--More of a horror film than others listed, but still a classic Gothic haunted house tale
7.  The Changeling--1980something--Elegant, old fashioned Gothic haunted house tale
8.  Haunted--1990something--set in the 1920's, Aidan Quin stars as a ghost hunter in this elegant film
9.  Jane Eyre--most recent version

Unfortunately, most of these movies aren't Gothic romances in the vein of Mary Stewart or Victoria Holt.  Sadly, that particular formula really hasn't been done on film very often.  I think it's high time for a film of "Nine Coaches Waiting" or "Bride of Pendorric," but apparently I don't think like a Hollywood executive.

That's a great list! I haven't seen #2, 6, 8 or 9, but I'll make a point to now.

It is unfortunate that there aren't more strongly atmospheric Gothic movies. I'd have to add The Others (2001) to your list, which was wonderfully moody, classy, and quietly suspenseful. Nicole Kidman did a good job (channeling Grace Kelly) as the not-quite-right mother of two eccentric children.

As for thinking like a Hollywood executive, the only thought on the minds of that breed is filling the movie theaters with as many 11- to 14-year-olds as possible. It has occurred to me, though, that cable TV might offer a niche for Gothics, as some kind of late-night series, for instance. Wouldn't it be fun to watch well-produced (in my fantasies, BBC-level) adaptations of Holt, Stewart, Whitney, Du Maurier, et al.? Gothics would not require big-budgets productions, just a few establishing locations, interior sets and period costumes. It would probably be a hard sell, though, as Gothics aren't sexy enough by today's standards. Oh well, we can dream.
(08-11-2010, 08:27 PM)bronte Wrote: I've mentioned "Night Gallery" before on this site. I own DVD's but if you want go on fancast.com and type in "Night Gallery" and you can watch episodes. If you only watch one episode in your life watch "THE CATERPILLAR" starring Laurence Harvey.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a Rod Serling fan and Twilight Zone has always been my favorite TV show. I've seen a few episodes of Night Gallery and found them inconsistent, but I will definitely look for the one you mention.
(08-11-2010, 12:32 PM)Gothic Tiger Wrote: The Uninvited, 1944
My Cousin Rachel
Experiment Perilous

And then again, Dark Shadows...the original series. I can't help myself. It's always my default option! Smile

You could easily include Dark Shadows, the revival series into the list. Smile I'm a die-hard revival fan and feel it deserves to be noticed too. Smile
I loved Dark shadows, the revival series! This made me DL the complete original series, which I'm keeping on the shelf till there are lots of dark and stormy nights, autumn that is. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Gothic Films Gothmeister 9 49,683 11-02-2018, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  Two Gothic Romance Book Give Aways!! StacyLynn 0 6,701 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Last Post: StacyLynn
  Harlequin Shivers (gothic romance line) Cherchezlafemme 7 30,793 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Jane Godman
  Gothic romance as you never knew it! blackstone 2 14,094 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Last Post: blackstone
  Gothic Movies: The Shuttered Room Monique Devereaux 6 25,301 10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  Gothic series: housekeeper heroine Miranda 3 15,649 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  gothic songs? bronte 4 16,237 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Last Post: SpookySweetness
  old, musty gothic books coramunroe 6 22,272 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Penfeather
  Gothic Questionnaire Gorfette85 2 10,130 06-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Gorfette85
  this series is NOT gothic but... bronte 1 10,091 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: bronte