Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mistress of Trevelyan by Jennifer St. Giles
Smile 
A formulaic gothic: heroine's point-of-view, sensible plain-looking heroine becomes governess to two sons of owner of imposing mansion whose wife supposedly committed suicide.
It's like the author read Victoria Holt's "Mistress of Mellyn" and said "I can do that too". So she wrote an immitation and added quite a bit of sex, because that's what romances seem to need these days. Sorry if I don't read gothics for the sex scenes. A reader who never read "Mistress of Mellyn" would probably love this book, but to me it's just a copy. No points for originality here. Victoria Holt has a special way of speaking to readers; a gift not many authors possess. The setting is 1873 San Francisco; there are a few references to life in the West, but apart from that it could just as easily have happened in Cornwall England. Two things bugged me in the story: (1) The bookstore owner has a parrot that quotes Shakespeare very appropriately, and (2) throughout the book the hero and heroine know that a marriage between them is out of the question because of their differences in station etcetera, and of course by the end of the book he proposes.

My verdict: a 7 out of 10

Messages In This Thread
The mistress of Trevelyan by Jennifer St. Giles - by Charybdis - 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bride of a Stranger by Jennifer Blake paigenumber 0 943 03-17-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  The Devil's Mistress by Virginia Coffman Penfeather 3 12,578 11-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Last Post: RareMale
  Mistress of Blackstone Castle by Patricia Werner Charybdis 0 7,543 04-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Charybdis
Big Grin Susannah beware by Jennifer Wilde and T E Huff romanticdress 0 6,513 02-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Last Post: romanticdress
Sad Mistress of Cliff House by Jeanne Stephens (1983) Desdemona 1 7,849 03-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Last Post: whitelady