Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gothic Romance Revival?
Hi, all. My name is Alana Matthews and I currently write for Harlequin Intrigue. I grew up in the 70's and fell in love with gothic romances, only to see them disappear over the years.

I've always wanted to start writing gothics, but have never been met with much enthusiasm when I've proposed a gothic to my publishers. There is, however, a publisher I've spoken with who has shown some interest in trying to revive the genre.

So I'm curious. How many of you out there think that such a revival is possible? Are gothic romance lovers like ourselves only a small segment of the romance reading population, or do you think there are a lot of people out there clamoring for them?

I'm also curious to know what you think about setting gothics in the contemporary world—like many were in the seventies. Is it possible for the gothic romance to be updated to today and still retain it's mystery and sense of foreboding?

I've just released a book for Intrigue, and am about to launch into a gothic romance under my pen name Amanda Wakefield called THE SHADOW UNDER THE STAIRS. I have no idea if my "experiment" will work, but I know I'll enjoy writing it.

By the way, the closest I've come to writing a "gothic" for Harlequin Intrigue was my book WATERFORD POINT, which came out last year under their "Shivers" imprint and is about an island off the coast of Maine that's haunted by the "ghost" of Weeping Willow. Not quite the same as the GRs I read as a kid, but when I wrote it I was definitely thinking gothic.

AM

Messages In This Thread
Gothic Romance Revival? - by Alana Matthews - 02-27-2013, 03:00 AM
RE: Gothic Romance Revival? - by The Ming - 02-27-2013, 06:38 AM
RE: Gothic Romance Revival? - by Alana Matthews - 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Gothic Romance Revival? - by Arkansas Annie - 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: Gothic Romance Revival? - by Penfeather - 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Hopeful Gothic Writer gothichorrortales 0 350 10-12-2023, 03:17 AM
Last Post: gothichorrortales
  Author of New Contemporary Gothic Suspense - The House on Black Lake houseonblacklake 0 6,046 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Last Post: houseonblacklake
  Hello gothic romance acolytes Gothmeister 3 10,640 01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Monique Devereaux
  Hey Gothic Fans Cat Freak 1 7,891 09-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Monique Devereaux