Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The House on Blackstone Moor (sequel to follow soon)!
My dark gothic romance novel, The House on Blackstone Moor is written in the gothic tradition but it is far darker than anything that would have been acceptable in years gone by.
It is published by Vamplit.

I have the sequel to my novel coming out shortly.

The sequel is entitled, Unholy Testament and it's very dark, indeed!

It is the confession of a demon to the woman he loves.

Synopsis/Excerpt:

“They say my father was mad, so corrupted by evil and tainted by sin that he did what he did. I came home to find them all dead; their throats savagely cut. My sisters only five and eight were gone as well as my brother who was twelve. My mother too lay butchered in her marriage bed. The bed her children were born in…”
Thus begins The House on Blackstone Moor as young Rose Baines discovers the savage murders of her family by her mad, incestuous father.

She is plunged into a nightmare of hell and is incarcerated in two madhouses after which she is helped to obtain a position as governess at Blackstone House.

The house is located on haunted moorland. Nothing is as it seems for Blackstone House and its inhabitants have hideous secrets. There is unimaginable horror there but there is love too--love that comes at a terrible price.

I have endeavored to create a story that is as haunting as it is terrifying. I hope it will remain with the reader long after its disturbing tale has been told.

[i]Excerpt:
“The air was still and warm; heavy. Low clouds hugged the horizon. There was the rumble of thunder too from somewhere far away. I would have preferred to see the moors in the sunshine, the moody atmosphere made it feel grimly forbidding. I didn’t wish to spoil the children’s fun so I smiled and followed their lead.

“If you walk to town, follow along through there,” Ada pointed, “you see at the bottom of that cliff, there’s an old footpath there, you can’t miss it.”

I made a mental note of it, although I didn’t know when I might go.
The children both held onto me. “Mind your step.”
I listened, as they had already frightened me as to the moor’s dangerous conditions.

“And the weather changes so quickly too.” Simon’s voice was grave. “Sometimes an entire herd of sheep have been known to perish.”
Ada shook her head. “Not so many as that Simon don’t be such a liar!”
Simon looked angry. “It’s true, I know it is so.”
“Well,” I said. “Whether it is or isn’t, I’m certain I shall be very careful where I tread.”

Each of them, it seemed to me, was vying with the other for my attention. Ada pointed out rocks and brush and Simon spoke of yet more doom and gloom.

Suddenly, they began to pull me forward. “This is the most fantastic thing you will ever see! Oh do hurry Miss Baines!” Ada was most impatient.

Simon tapped her. “She will see it in her own good time.”
“What is it children? What do you wish me to see?”
They exchanged mysterious looks; I thought to further dramatize the situation.

“Yonder. Do you want to see the ancient stone of legend?”
“What legend is that, Simon?”

Ada spoke up. “The legend of Blackstone Moor of course.”
They began to drag me then toward a rocky mount. “Just in here.”
I was led through a narrow crevice. It quite reminded me of Stonehenge. I wondered what it could be and began to grow excited too.

Suddenly we stopped, Simon pointed at a large flat rock. “There, that’s it!”

It looked like a ledge that had been deliberately laid down. I went to touch it but Ada warned me. “Touch it only if you dare.”
“I dare!” I cried. The surface was far smoother than I would have imagined.
“See how black it is, miss?”
“Quite black!” I agreed.
Simon nodded. “It’s as black as the eternal night and do you know why it’s black
Miss Baines? It’s black with blood!”
“Simon!”
“Yes truly! It has blackened with blood and gore too and innards and guts and things that soaked into the stone!”
“What a thing to say! Where did you hear such things?”
“I just know! Ada and I both know.”

This was the final straw, I drew him aside. “Simon,” I said. “You should know better.

This is not something either of you should think about; it’s worse for Ada since she’s younger than you. You Simon ought to know better.”
He looked down. “I suppose, but Ada’s older than you think!”
“Is she indeed, well I don’t think it appropriate, do you understand me?”
“Yes Miss Baines.”
“I don’t think it’s a subject for children. Besides, it’s probably not true anyway!”
He was agreeing with me, yet there appeared across his face the most quizzical look.
“But there were human sacrifices practiced on these moors once and all manner of dark rites too. Many people died here.”
This was making me feel sick.
“Who told you this?”
“No one.”
“Don’t lie to me Simon.”
“Someone, I can’t say…” Ada was watching him wide-eyed. Clearly she didn’t want him to give me a name, but I continued to press him.
At last he cracked. “Dora! It was Dora! Do you feel better now?”
“It’s not that I feel better, I just wanted to know who told you such things.”
Ada looked at me intently. “Please you won’t have Dora punished, will you?”
“No of course not, but whatever do you mean?”
Ada shook her head. “She might be severely punished that’s all.”
She quite unsettled me with that, but then I took it to mean she might be turned off without a reference. “Well I shall only speak to her about it then, alright?”
“Oh yes, miss. Thank you.”
I took their hands then and we headed back to the house, the children walking just ahead of me whispering with me just behind them wondering what they were saying.

End of excerpt.
sorry about the spacing!

Messages In This Thread
The House on Blackstone Moor (sequel to follow soon)! - by blackstone - 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The House on Black Lake - Published March 29, 2010 houseonblacklake 1 9,189 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Last Post: UberStein