Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's discuss "Haunting of Hill House"
You know, when I think of a haunted house, it usually is haunted because something dreadful happened in the home. What happened in this house? Practically nothing, except for the companion who committed suicide, and that came much later. The lady of the house was killed in the drive, so the grounds should have been haunted, which can explain the strange scenes outside the house. Perhaps, the loneliness of the individuals who lived there left an aura of unhappiness, but they talked about how happy the girls were as children, before they started bickering. Perhaps the original owner, in building the house with unusual dimensions (and I cannot imagine how a house like that could stand up) made it 'mad' like a mentally or emotionally disturbed individual, whose hormones in the brain are are not right.

Now, let's look at the characters. I personally felt sorry for Eleanor and I did not like what happened to her. Poltergeist activity is attributed to children, but how does an adult influence psychic events. I think something about her did connect with the house, even though it repelled her at first. But I was shocked that the house didn't try to protect her, to keep her there. (I'm reminded of that TV movie way back when, "This House Possessed" where the house tried to protect the heroine) I wonder if the Professor set Eleanor up, knowing she was weak-minded. Theo and the other guy (I forget his name) seemed to go out of their way to belittle Eleanor. Did anyone else feel their conversations were strange? Did you think the house had anything to do with that?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's discuss "Haunting of Hill House" - by MysteryMind - 11-12-2007, 11:56 PM