Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy to find you!
Hello...been reading gothics since I was a teenager...so happy to find other fans and a place to gab about our reads!

My name is Christine...live in L.A. I count my first gothic ever to be The Secret Garden by Francis Burnett...as a child...I know no one ever thinks of that particular book as being a gothic for children, but it really, it has all the elements...dark brooding hunchback master of the manor who hides away grieving for his lost love, a secret skeleton key and locked away garden, screaming and weeping heard in the night....kwim?

I think it was then that I got hooked!

My fave of course as many of you probably will agree is Jane Eyre...but the very next gothic I actually ever read was a Victoria Holt book, House of a Thousand Lanterns...I was probably about 13 at the time...and wow, I was hooked!

nice to "meet" you all!
Welcome to the forum, Christine! A member posted a review of House of a Thousand Lanterns; haven't read the book yet, but I shall soon Smile
Hi Christine, welcome to the forum! It's a bit slow at the moment, but I'm sure it'll pick up again.

I never realized The Secret Garden could be labeled as a gothic, but you're quite right. No wonder I always loved that story! Perhaps you'd like to post an official review in the review section? I see I've got it on my BeBook so when I get around to rereading it, I'll post my own as well.

Hope you'll enjoy your time here!
Welcome! House of A Thousand Lanterns is next on my list. Always nice to see another fan of the genre!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy New Year! paigenumber 4 7,806 03-29-2020, 10:57 AM
Last Post: paigenumber
Smile So happy to find you all!!! MaMiller 2 10,007 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: romanticdress
Smile Happy Holidays From Jacqueline Marten jacquelinemarten 0 5,195 12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Last Post: jacquelinemarten
  So glad to find you! spectergirl 0 5,113 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Last Post: spectergirl
  Happy Thanksgiving! Desdemona 1 7,820 11-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Last Post: tamtam
  Happy Halloween tamtam 0 5,305 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Last Post: tamtam