Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tess
I just finished reading "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy twice and would like to recommend it to my fellow Gothic Romance fans. It is definite not "gothic" but has a rather dark ending and is fantastic! If you haven't read it...give it a try!
(11-06-2010, 02:55 PM)Janet Wrote: I just finished reading "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy twice and would like to recommend it to my fellow Gothic Romance fans. It is definite not "gothic" but has a rather dark ending and is fantastic! If you haven't read it...give it a try!

Thanks for the recommendation - I remember having to study this at school for English Literature. At the time I found Hardy's prose quite heavy going so ended up renting a video of the film to help pass the exams! I agree it is a harrowing story and many of my friends have recommended it to me in the past, so now I am a little older (and wiser?) I might give it a second go.
Agreed...I would've never enjoyed this in school either! It's a good read now for sure though!