Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do with your Gothic books after reading them?
What do you do with your Gothic books after reading them? Do you keep them, sell them, or what?
I keep them all in alphabetical order by author so I know whether I've read future novels I come across and consider reading. For some reason, I cannot part with them, as they represent a lifelong body of work/enjoyment.

I do plan to leave my entire gothic novel library to the Gothic Romance Lending Library in my will, however, so other gothic lovers may enjoy them in perpetuity.
GothicLover Wrote:I keep them all in alphabetical order by author so I know whether I've read future novels I come across and consider reading. For some reason, I cannot part with them, as they represent a lifelong body of work/enjoyment.

I do plan to leave my entire gothic novel library to the Gothic Romance Lending Library in my will, however, so other gothic lovers may enjoy them in perpetuity.

Where is this Gothic Romance Lending Library? Can anyone borrow from there?
http://GothicJournal.com/gothlib.html

It's a nonprofit library of gothic romances sponsored by Gothic Journal with over 2700 volumes available for loan by mail to anyone in the US interested. Details are at the link above.
I wonder if book donation to that library are tax deductible. I bet they are. Thanks for the link!
readertim Wrote:I wonder if book donation to that library are tax deductible. I bet they are. Thanks for the link!

Yes, thanks for the link.

I usually donate my books to the local library or to Goodwill. I am such a book hoarder that it's a chore to part with anything though. Most of my books are unread....I just want to see them there! Tongue
readertim Wrote:What do you do with your Gothic books after reading them? Do you keep them, sell them, or what?

I keep them--even if they were bad. I just have a compulsion that way. Wink
  •  Edwardian Promenade
Lol I also keep mine organized in a shelf. I'm too much of a bibliophile to let them go.
I would love to keep them if I had a place to put them. I am not sure how good an idea it would be though. My sisters insisted my parents store many books for them and many of those have crumbled. My mother ended up having to pry chunks of books of off a shelf with a crow bar and throw them away. Though, many of my mother's Gothics were in a bin and were alright, so I now have those.

I usually try to sell them at yard sales or donate them to Goodwill. Or if they are in very bad condition, I'll throw them away.
readertim Wrote:What do you do with your Gothic books after reading them? Do you keep them, sell them, or what?

Hi. Smile I'm new to the genre. Am only on my 2nd novel, Whistle for the Crows, by Dorothy Eden (so far so VERY good). Have 30 Gothics, mostly from the 1960s, purchased from a local used bookstore.

I plan to sell the novels which I don't find enjoyable back to the bookstore. Maybe someone else will like the novel. An exception would be if the novel has really great cover art.

Intend to keep the ones I do like, and perhaps shrink-wrap them for extra safekeeping. These books are getting old now, though I've been fortunate to find copies in very good condition.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying to find gothic I read years ago! Please help :-) sulaco2d 3 13,294 07-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Gothic Journal Newsletter GothicLover 1 5,187 05-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Carrie Dalby
  Best "Classic" Gothic list paigenumber 11 71,548 07-27-2018, 05:28 AM
Last Post: ZackFerrum
  Creating a Best Gothic Romance List maisonvivante 50 181,805 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Last Post: ZackFerrum
Exclamation Gothic Literature Resources on the Internet GothAdmin 15 61,071 07-23-2018, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  Elements of a bad Gothic paigenumber 7 18,497 01-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Jojo Lapin X
  Gothic Journal Newsletter GothicLover 1 7,544 12-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Penfeather
  The Beekeeper's Daughter -Gothic Romance by Jane Jordan janemarie1 1 8,648 10-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Last Post: GothicLover
  Looking for old gothic romance soche11 3 11,197 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Last Post: soche11
  Gothic/Gothic Romanic Suspense/Romantic Suspense gothicromancereader 11 50,162 08-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Last Post: janemarie1