Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for a new "Gothic Places" image gallery
I wonder if anyone would be interested in a new sub-forum to feature images of Gothic settings. There's already a gallery for book cover art, but this would be for pictures (primarily photos) of real places and environments that inspire the Gothic imagination: dark old castles, cliffside manor houses half lost in fog, heathery moors under approaching stormclouds, etc. The gallery could also include artworks that are Gothic in mood but which are not book covers. I have a modest collection of such images I've saved and would love to share them with the group. Perhaps others do as well.

Does this idea appeal to anyone? I've attached an example of a "Gothic setting" from my album.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great minds think alike (lol). I've already brought this idea up with the administrator and I think he is working on that. I even suggested that we post gothic pictures and have a fun contest of sorts for any writers, especially someone like yourself who have a way with words, to describe a scene in a story using the pictures as inspiration.

We're heading up to the Lakes and the Yorkshire moors this week so I hope we'll be able to get some nice gothic pictures.
(07-24-2010, 06:33 AM)paigenumber Wrote: We're heading up to the Lakes and the Yorkshire moors this week so I hope we'll be able to get some nice gothic pictures.

How uncanny! I just culled a folder's worth of pictures of Yorkshire (moors included) from various sites, and I was thinking how lovely it would be to stay at the Stone House in Wensleydale:

http://www.stonehousehotel.co.uk/

I'm so envious that you're up there in Brontë Country (or at least near it)! And yes, I like your idea about writing Gothic vignettes to go with pictures -- but does it have to be a contest? Making it competitive might dampen the fun. Contests are for jam-makers! Wink
I don't mean anything competitive, just an open invite. It would be too difficult to make it a real "contest" - everyone would have a different opinion.
Just came home. Will have to check out the pictures we took before posting them.
I'm in - I have tons of photos, Gothic, castles, British manor houses, coastlines, fog, nightscapes, you name it - collected on my hard drive
(08-01-2010, 09:11 PM)Monique Devereaux Wrote: I'm in - I have tons of photos, Gothic, castles, British manor houses, coastlines, fog, nightscapes, you name it - collected on my hard drive

That sounds great, thank you!

Hmmm . . . wondering what the next step is. How exactly are new sub-forums generated? Has anybody heard from the Admin?
Admin? I thought the inmates were running this asylum!
Hello,

Yes, I have added a sub-forum here for posting images: http://www.gothicromanceforum.com/gothic...-f-28.html

Apologies for the delay in setting this up - was pondering the legitimacy of it. I imagine we are ok as long as we attribute, wherever possible, images taken from other sites etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gothic Poetry Desdemona 1 11,479 07-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Bellatrix
  Move or Elimination of Horror Gothic Forum? GothicLover 5 20,880 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Last Post: GothicLover