Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's your favorite classic author?
Who's your favorite classic author? Why is that author your favorite classic author?
I love Dorothy Daniels, Phyllis Whitney, and Barbara Michaels just to name a few.
Since they no longer put out these great types of books, I have started to write them.
I also can't find many gothic novels. There are a few surfacing here and there. I've also finished the first draft of my gothic novel and am now editing it. Harlequin Intrigue has a new series starting this month with gothic overtones. i do remember in the 1980's when Harlequin actually had an all gothic line of books. I have e-mailed them to see if maybe they could start to issue something like that again. There is an audience for them. There always has been and there always will be lovers of the gothic novel.
LC1234546 Wrote:I also can't find many gothic novels. There are a few surfacing here and there. I've also finished the first draft of my gothic novel and am now editing it. Harlequin Intrigue has a new series starting this month with gothic overtones. i do remember in the 1980's when Harlequin actually had an all gothic line of books. I have e-mailed them to see if maybe they could start to issue something like that again. There is an audience for them. There always has been and there always will be lovers of the gothic novel.

Hi,
I too ran into that problem back in the early 90's. There just weren't any gothics to be had anywhere. I began writing them in 2001, and I am almost finished with my second novel now. I write in the classic gothic genre, (Non Vampire) with the haunting storylines that always intrigued me as a reader! I don't do modern settings or bodice ripper stories either.

I'm glad to know that the Classic gothic genre is Not dead after all!

Best wishes,
Linda
Hi, Linda,
I'm also Linda. Did you have your first gothic published? I'm trying to finish editing mine to send to Dorchester for their writing competition.
Best wishes,
Linda
Wink 
LC1234546 Wrote:Hi, Linda,
I'm also Linda. Did you have your first gothic published? I'm trying to finish editing mine to send to Dorchester for their writing competition.
Best wishes,
Linda

Hi LInda,
My this could get confusing, LOL. Actually I self pubbed my first book. No one was touching Gothics at the time. I truly wish the publishers would turn around and bring this wonderful genre back. I've had so many issues with getting this one done, that I believe the book is haunted! But I plow on, working away trying to get it done. My second book is getting done slowly as I edit as I go. Only 5 more chapters to go. The thing is also is in the writing of them, not too many understand what it takes to write a 'classic' gothic.

BAF, (Break a Finger)
Linda
gothic_author@sbcglobal.net
It's nice to see we have some up and coming authors. Gothic Author, where can we find your first novel? How about giving us a sample of your work? I think we have many more people who appreciate gothic romances than will admit. It's just a shame that publishers don't realize that.
Hi,

Every now and then a new gothic is published. Some new authors I have found is Eve Silver, who wrote DARK PRINCE, Jennifer St. Giles and Joanna Challis. Also Steeple Hill publishers had a series of books laet year with a gothic-like theme, and Harlequin Intrigue is starting a series with gothic tones, too.
Thanks for the leads! Where did you read about the Harlequin Intrigue line? I did a search, but can't find anything about it. I want to get the details so I can be on the lookout....

I looked up Dark Prince too and I probably would have overlooked it because of the cover. Thanks for the heads up on that too. I'll add it to my overwhelming "to read' list.
Dear Desdemona,

The Harlequin Intrigue series starts this month with, The Curse of Ravens Cliff. I have the first book, WITH THE MATERIAL WITNESS IN THE SAFE HOUSE, by Carla Cassidy .but I haven't read it, yet.
There will be a second one in July. I also read Linda Hall's 2nd book in her Shadows series, SHADOWS AT THE WINDOW. They're not really gothics, but they are told in the first person, and they are very good. They are published by Steeple Hill. Allison Knight, who also writes gothics, has a book coming out in August. Check her web site, www.allisonknight.com. Also check www.joannachallis.com and www.evesilver.net. I also found the listings of Amazon.com under gothic novels very good. You could get some older books, some used for only one cent. If you would like me to post any new gothics I find, I'll be glad to.

Happy reading,
Linda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you define 'classic gothics'? readertim 27 78,418 07-29-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  What's your favorite classic gothic book? readertim 22 89,915 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Ewan Wilson
  Classic Gothics online? Des Esseintes 7 33,010 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Last Post: bigred904
  What's the last classic Gothic that you read? readertim 4 22,615 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Last Post: romanticdress
  What is your favorite opening to a gothic novel? Lord stumbleforth 8 34,088 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Lord stumbleforth
  Do many schools have classes about classic Gothics? readertim 10 33,341 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Last Post: romanticdress