Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you ever write a horror Gothic?
Would you ever write a horror Gothic novel? Does reading them make you want to write some?
Yes indeed. I have been working on a Southern Gothic for two years. I have written about 45,000 words and am about halfway finished. The main inspiration for my book (working title is Twisted Oaks) are the works of Anne Rice (whom I don't much care for) and Michael McDowell (whom I admire greatly).

The original plot for this story, when the novel was in development phase, actually followed the traditional route, with a young bride coming to an old house to discover that her husband's twin brother is a werewolf. The plot evolved into something a bit bigger. Now the story is about a family curse which begins in 1848 and continues through two generations. It's set in the Louisiana bayous and is chock full of witchcraft, voodoo, soul-selling, murder, incest, drug addiction, ghosts, and yes the twin brother is still a werewolf. I refer to it as a Southern Gothic Potboiler, as well as describe it as a cross between Dark Shadows and Gone With the Wind.
Monique Devereaux Wrote:Yes indeed. I have been working on a Southern Gothic for two years. I have written about 45,000 words and am about halfway finished. The main inspiration for my book (working title is Twisted Oaks) are the works of Anne Rice (whom I don't much care for) and Michael McDowell (whom I admire greatly).

The original plot for this story, when the novel was in development phase, actually followed the traditional route, with a young bride coming to an old house to discover that her husband's twin brother is a werewolf. The plot evolved into something a bit bigger. Now the story is about a family curse which begins in 1848 and continues through two generations. It's set in the Louisiana bayous and is chock full of witchcraft, voodoo, soul-selling, murder, incest, drug addiction, ghosts, and yes the twin brother is still a werewolf. I refer to it as a Southern Gothic Potboiler, as well as describe it as a cross between Dark Shadows and Gone With the Wind.

Sounds cool! Good luck!
Oh, that is awesome. Your story has me drooling. Please get that finished so we can all read it!
(10-08-2007, 06:52 PM)readertim Wrote: Would you ever write a horror Gothic novel? Does reading them make you want to write some?

I have, let say, "attempted" writing a horror Gothic that ended being a short story.

It's called "My girl got a raw deal".
A father is taking his little girl to the park, reminding himself of the last time he went. Whilst his little girl pesters him about the people who have gone to hell. Are they all sinners? Or did someone elses sin put them there?

The father questions the girl, believing she has become distraught over the situation about her mother, whose body was massacred and only found the week before. However, the little girl assures the father, that the mother is not hell. And the father becomes overwhelmed with fear...

Later on, the girl pronounces that she made a deal with Satan
and all hell brakes loose.

literally.
I would like to learn more about the horror side of Gothics. I love a good spook story, although I have no interest in gore and gratuitous violence. But give me an eerie, ambiguous threat from beyond that disturbs my sleep and I'm in heaven. Unfortunately so many horror stories start out pleasantly creepy only to devolve into silliness. Sometimes they never get to the scare (e.g., Peter Straub's Ghost Story) or else they jump the shark and start vamping, and the creep factor evaporates.

I'll consult the previous thread for recommendations on what to start with. I admit I've hesitated because while I don't mind elements of the supernatural, the whole vampire/werewolf/witch thing sort of annoys me.

I know this thread was about writing horror Gothics rather than reading them, but knowing the sub-genre would precede any attempt to write in it.
(10-08-2007, 06:52 PM)readertim Wrote: Would you ever write a horror Gothic novel? Does reading them make you want to write some?

Yes I just have! It's entitled THE HOUSE ON BLACKSTONE MOOR and it is written as a gothic romance novel but dark themed.
It's a tale of vampirism, madness, obsession and devil worship set in 19 the Century England.

here's a link for the book trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKQUzkMHhfU

the link below will give you more info, plus the opening lines:

http://ebookundead.com/the-house-on-blackstone-moor/It is due out in December as an ebook, into paperback next year.

I read some years ago that the gothic romance genre more or less had its day and I felt awful about it.

I love the gothic narrative as a reader and writer, i just feel perhaps the same type of fiction, with stronger, darker themes might bring it back into mass appeal again.
I agree, these days it's all about vampires...
(11-27-2010, 09:22 AM)Charybdis Wrote: I agree, these days it's all about vampires...

Vampires dominate I guess because of the huge popularity. but i think that there should be an option for readers to read entirely different sorts of novels with or without vampires.

there is literary paranormal after all which is how my publisher describes my novel.

if you'd care to learn more i'd love you to visit my blog:

http://demonvampirehorror.blogspot.com/
one further point. i don't mean to just discuss my novel.
in fact i'd love to discuss 'literary paranormal' with you!
I only recently heard of it in reference to my own work!

but i think that's really what i meant to say (forget the links)!!!

I find a lot of paranormal romance not what i really want to get into. i'd like it to be different, deeper--more intellectual.

Let me give you an example, the biggest turn off to me is a book cover with a bare-chested man!

I want something different!
Blackstone, are you a fan of Dark Shadows & Strange Paradise?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Definition of horror Gothic paigenumber 11 61,213 03-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Horror Writers as Film Characters quamis 4 14,992 01-18-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: CharliResch
  What horror Gothic books do you recommend? readertim 19 77,993 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Jojo Lapin X
  What's the last horror Gothic book you read? readertim 6 25,993 04-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Bellatrix Lestrange
  What's your favorite horror Gothic novel? readertim 8 29,664 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Des Esseintes
  Did Stephen King Ever Write Any Gothics? readertim 3 16,515 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Last Post: romanticdress