Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do you read?
How much do you read? How many books do you read in a month? Are most of them Gothics?
I probably read about one to two books a month. I'm a s-l-o-w reader. I prefer to read Gothics, but I belong to two book clubs to ensure I read other stuff that is "good for me." I love nonfiction too, particularly those subjects that appeal to a Gothic mind. I'm also trying to read poetry more, because I sorely lack in that area.
I read between 1 to 4 books a month and one of them is always a Gothic but all of them are in the Romance genre. The amount of time I read depends on the weather. I have more books than I'll ever read before I die. I wish I had more time to read!
I keep a list of all the books I read and when I finish them. It helps me remember things I've read and it sometimes helps me remember other things as well by re-reading over the list in the timeframe I'm trying to remember. When I started the list I would sometimes forget to write down titles as I finish them but I've gotten good about it over the years. I've read about 780 books since 1991. I read 60 books last year and will reach only 40 this year.

I tend to read fast because much of what I read is research for a book I want to write and it's more like reading to study rather than for pleasure. Also, many of the books are inter-library loan books I have to special order and they can't be renewed.
The only time I have to read is at bedtime. This means I go through books rather slowly, especially since I tend to fall asleep after only a few pages. I would like to have an extra hour each day just for reading, but alas!

I go through periods when I binge on gothics, then take breaks. Currently I'm on one of my binges. A binge means I'll read 3-4 gothics for every one of another genre (or non-fiction). At other times the ratio is reversed.
Unfortunately, I use reading to avoid other tasks that I ought to attend to. If a book keeps my interest, I also stay up at night to read. It's a killer, an addiction.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying to find gothic I read years ago! Please help :-) sulaco2d 3 13,230 07-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Trying to find book read in the early 80's nicki c 0 6,325 12-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Last Post: nicki c
  Can you pinpoint the very first Gothic you read? paigenumber 11 29,007 04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Cherchezlafemme
  Vague description of a book I once read! Magpie 1 8,225 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Des Esseintes
  How fast do you read a gothic book? readertim 2 9,740 05-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Bellatrix
  Do you re-read your books? paigenumber 2 9,681 12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Desdemona