Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite classic gothic book?
I also love Wuthering Heights, although purists may protest that it's not a real Gothic romance. I'm not one of those though.

Purists would probably protest that it wasn't a romance at all-gothic or otherwise, Desdemona. No happy ever afters for Heathcliffe and Cathy. But I'm willing to take up the bat for it being a gothic. But no matter what we call it, we love it nonetheless.
As I'm new to the forum, I figure I'll start sharing right away. I would have to say my favorite Gothic Novel would be a tie between three, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Horace Walpole's Castle Otranto and Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. The reason I cant decide is that they each bring something new to the table, Otranto could well be the first of its kind, Frankenstein is just amazing, (Ruined by contemporary takes) and Heart of Darkness is just a majestic look at the dark side of man. I believe each of these is a must read.
Toungue 
Easy one for me!

Mysteries of Udolpho by the mistress of enchantment Ann Radcliffe.

I love love love this book!

But I have dozens of other favourites of the older gothic lit. books. I love the 50's, 60's and 70's Gothic romances, nothing from today.

A few other older
ones:

Uncle Silas
Midnight Bell
The Italian
Romance of the Forest
Castle of Wolfenbach
The Monk
Varney the Vampire
The Haunted Palace

Well I could go on and on Tongue It's a HUGE passion of mine!
Phantoms by Ivan Turgenyev.
Dracula and Dracula´s guest by Bram Stoker
Clarimonde by Theophile Gautier
Carmilla by Sheridan LeFanu
Honorable mentions:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by R L Stevenson
Vampyre by John Polidori
Tongue
My favorite is Wuthering Heights and it is a definate gothic romance, this is where the whole party started. Emily gives us love with its beauty and its ugliness.
I have to go with the classic Jane Eyre.
(10-17-2008, 05:59 PM)Desdemona Wrote:
random capitals Wrote:Hey Cat Freak I'm with you on Wuthering Heights. It is my all time favourite book.

I also love Wuthering Heights, although purists may protest that it's not a real Gothic romance. I'm not one of those though.

Although im fan of "Wuthering Heights" i find Jane Eyre to be a much more likeable and realistic character than Catherine. i just find the whole relationship between Cathy and Heathcliff annoyingly melodramatic at some points. "Jane Eyre" is both fantastically written, and to a certain extent, more realistic.

Dracula is my all time favourite vampire novel hands down. Stoker's son later wrote a sequel to it called "Dracula, the Undead" which is an admittedly camp title, but i found the book quite engaging.

Rebecca is another fav of mine Smile
(12-09-2011, 01:30 PM)Bellatrix Lestrange Wrote: Although im fan of "Wuthering Heights" i find Jane Eyre to be a much more likeable and realistic character than Catherine. i just find the whole relationship between Cathy and Heathcliff annoyingly melodramatic at some points. "Jane Eyre" is both fantastically written, and to a certain extent, more realistic.

I adore Jane Eyre, it's one of my all time favourite novels since I read it first when I was about 12. Jane Eyre is a great character and Rochester is the perfect hero, IMO, flawed but redeemed at the end. We had to read Wuthering Heights at school and I hated it. The characters are horrible and the entire story is bleak and I agree it's quite unrealistic.

I also enjoyed the Tenant of Wildfell Hall, I don't think it is as Gothic as either WH or JE but it's quite a good read.

Uncle Silas by sheridan le fanu
(09-07-2009, 02:09 PM)GothicRomance Wrote: Phantoms by Ivan Turgenyev.
Dracula and Dracula´s guest by Bram Stoker
Clarimonde by Theophile Gautier
Carmilla by Sheridan LeFanu
Honorable mentions:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by R L Stevenson
Vampyre by John Polidori
Tongue

These and:
Vampire and Pale lady by Alexandre Dumas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you define 'classic gothics'? readertim 27 79,586 07-29-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  Need help locating the title of a gothic romance from the 70s geekthegirl 1 12,177 08-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Last Post: GothicLover
  Classic Gothics online? Des Esseintes 7 33,396 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Last Post: bigred904
  What's the last classic Gothic that you read? readertim 4 22,808 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Last Post: romanticdress
  What is your favorite opening to a gothic novel? Lord stumbleforth 8 34,431 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Lord stumbleforth
  Free H.P. Lovecraft essay about Gothic Fiction- UberStein 1 16,857 12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Des Esseintes
  Elizabeth Gaskell´s Gothic tales Dallas_Lawson 1 10,972 06-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Do many schools have classes about classic Gothics? readertim 10 33,755 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Last Post: romanticdress
  Who's your favorite classic author? readertim 11 39,584 02-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Valancourt
  What's the first noteworthy Gothic book? readertim 11 36,477 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Last Post: tamtam