Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Old Evil House - Laura Frances Brooks
From the book cover: She made the strange turquoise house reveal its terrible secret - and found herself staring into death's face...

This is an Ace Gothic (No. 16) book in their series.

I found this book to be a typical gothic story - old, mysterious house, innocent occupants, strange neighbors, a murder, a secret and middle-of-night noises. This was also a typical gothic in that the husband didn't believe his wife's experiences in the house or what she said about the neighbors.

The resolution came a bit too abruptly unlike most stories written today. The characters were written in detail and there was a nice sense of place.

I'd probably recommend this book, but only if you had nothing else to read Wink Not that it was bad but sometimes the attitudes and to-stupid-to-live syndrome was way too prevalent, for me at least.
Hi Coramunroe
I don't mind dated attitudes in dated books. When reading I try to keep in mind what was generally acceptable at the time of writing. Some attitudes are hard to swallow but I can force them down for the sake of a good story if they were prevailant at the time.
But I find too-stupid-to-live heroines a complete deal breaker in any genre-not just gothics. I find a book much more interesting/scary if the heroine is smart (or at least not openly stupid) but she still ends up in a difficult spot.
So thanks for the heads up on that aspect.
This Old Evil House?

It sounds like a TV show.

"Hi everyone, I'm Bob Vila and today on This Old Evil House I'm going to show you how to secure your doors and windows against ghosts and vampires. Remember, most pretanatural beings can transform into mist, so they can get in the tightest places; Dracula slipped right through Renfield's barred window and Cathy's ghost certainly would have entered Wuthering Heights if it wasn't for Lockwood's quick thinking. So, be sure to examine your lattice windows and casements with a candle and any time you see the flame flicker or feel a cold draft, it means the glass isn't meeting the frame properly and vampires and ghosts can get in. For a quick fix you can fill those places with garlic or henbane; it's decorative, fragrant and organic, just ask Robert Neville. Long term solutions include painting crosses, magic eyes or the Elder Sign on the outside of your shutters.

After the commercial break I'll answer a question about insulation and soundproofing your bedroom sent in by Jane Eyre of England. Apparently, there's a madwoman in her attic keeping her awake with maniacal laughter."
Big Grin 
Des Esseintes Wrote:This Old Evil House?

"Hi everyone, I'm Bob Vila and today on This Old Evil House I'm going to show you how to secure your doors and windows against ghosts and vampires. Remember, most pretanatural beings can transform into mist, so they can

Congratulations! Sounds like you're ready to write a Gothic parody. Might go over very well with the general public.
(05-23-2009, 10:49 AM)Des Esseintes Wrote: This Old Evil House?

"Hi everyone, I'm Bob Vila and today on This Old Evil House I'm going to show you how to secure your doors and windows against ghosts and vampires. Remember, most pretanatural beings can transform into mist, so they can get in the tightest places; Dracula slipped right through Renfield's barred window and Cathy's ghost certainly would have entered Wuthering Heights if it wasn't for Lockwood's quick thinking. So, be sure to examine your lattice windows and casements with a candle and any time you see the flame flicker or feel a cold draft, it means the glass isn't meeting the frame properly and vampires and ghosts can get in. For a quick fix you can fill those places with garlic or henbane; it's decorative, fragrant and organic, just ask Robert Neville. Long term solutions include painting crosses, magic eyes or the Elder Sign on the outside of your shutters.

After the commercial break I'll answer a question about insulation and soundproofing your bedroom sent in by Jane Eyre of England. Apparently, there's a madwoman in her attic keeping her awake with maniacal laughter."

Big Grin Perfect! How about roses, especially wild roses - they are especially decorative! Albeit garlic may be safer bet...Tongue
Excellent, Des Essientes! Thanks for an early morning laugh!
(05-23-2009, 10:49 AM)Des Esseintes Wrote: This Old Evil House?

That is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House of the Dancing Dead by Aola Vandergriff paigenumber 0 4,725 02-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  The House of Two Wives by Douglas Locke paigenumber 0 5,333 12-09-2016, 09:51 PM
  The House of Ravensbourne by Mary Ann Gibbs paigenumber 0 4,589 12-09-2016, 08:47 PM
  Her Stepfather's House by June Wetherell paigenumber 0 4,743 12-09-2016, 08:15 PM
  The Secret of Canfield House by Florence Hurd whitelady 8 32,266 01-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Last Post: uncle rich
  Someone in the House by Barbara Michaels Charybdis 1 9,340 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Last Post: romanticdress
  "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson tamtam 4 15,402 10-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Charybdis
  House of Dark Illusions by Caroline Farr Penfeather 0 7,480 09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  House Malign by Julie Wellsley paigenumber 0 6,261 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Big Grin The House of a Thousand Lanterns by Victoria Holt Charybdis 3 20,670 09-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Last Post: AliceChell