Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
I'm reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson for the first time. I like how the classics are atmospheric and horrible without being gory. (Frankenstein and Dracula are other good examples.)
(10-12-2018, 02:52 PM)Carrie Dalby Wrote: I'm reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson for the first time. I like how the classics are atmospheric and horrible without being gory. (Frankenstein and Dracula are other good examples.)

"The Body Snatcher" is also a good Stevenson story.  The 1945 Val Lewton film with Karloff and Lugosi is wonderfully atmospheric.

Personally I think Frankenstein is a vastly better piece of literature than Dracula.  Mary Shelley was a brilliant writer; Bram Stoker, well . . . bit of a hack in my opinion.
I did enjoy Frankenstein. That Stevenson short is in an anthology of Classic Horror shorts I have but haven't read yet. Will bump it up on my TBR pile. Thanks.
Smile 
(10-12-2018, 02:52 PM)Carrie Dalby Wrote: I'm reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson for the first time. I like how the classics are atmospheric and horrible without being gory. (Frankenstein and Dracula are other good examples.)

I'm also reading the same. It's really good and addicted.