Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Shy 
Hello. I am new here. I hope to get acquainted with interesting people.

By the way - I need help.
Hello, and welcome. What help do you need?
(06-17-2018, 05:30 PM)GothAdmin Wrote: Hello, and welcome.  What help do you need?

Hello again.

The thing is ... I want to write a Gothic novel. I for a long time could not think of a plot .... Before the plot, I still thought of it, but it seems to me that this is the madness of a madman.

P.S. - By the way - I'm from Russia, so there may be some speech errors.
(06-20-2018, 01:21 AM)Edgar Theodore Machen Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 05:30 PM)GothAdmin Wrote: Hello, and welcome.  What help do you need?

Hello again.

The thing is ... I want to write a Gothic novel. I for a long time could not think of a plot .... Before the plot, I still thought of it, but it seems to me that this is the madness of a madman.

P.S. - By the way - I'm from Russia, so there may be some speech errors.

Welcome aboard.  I have read some of your posts and you are very knowledgeable.  Good luck on your book.  Have you started it?
(06-22-2018, 06:28 AM)paigenumber Wrote: Welcome aboard.  I have read some of your posts and you are very knowledgeable.  Good luck on your book.  Have you started it?

Thank you!  Shy

I have only the first chapter so far - now I have a session, and tomorrow a seminar on European philosophy, so I have not much time to write.
Hello, Edgar!

I always start with characters when I write, and with Gothic, setting is often a "character." Once you know the who and where of the story, allow yourself to daydream about it for days/weeks, taking notes.
My favorite way to plot is what many people call "story webs." I'll attach a photo to show it in case there is a different word for it in Russian. I start with the character in the middle of the page and add all the information/people around him/her and link them as they relate to each other. When I wrote a Gothic horror, I used the house as the central character and attached the characters to it. Simplistic, but it works for me because I'm a visual learner.

(06-23-2018, 08:03 AM)Carrie Dalby Wrote: Hello, Edgar!

I always start with characters when I write, and with Gothic, setting is often a "character." Once you know the who and where of the story, allow yourself to daydream about it for days/weeks, taking notes.
My favorite way to plot is what many people call "story webs." I'll attach a photo to show it in case there is a different word for it in Russian. I start with the character in the middle of the page and add all the information/people around him/her and link them as they relate to each other. When I wrote a Gothic horror, I used the house as the central character and attached the characters to it. Simplistic, but it works for me because I'm a visual learner.

The center of my narration - the Ancient Abbey and the ghost of the master of the estate.
This is how simply I began plotting my Gothic horror, with the manor house central, and how the characters connected to it and each other. But when I began writing, a lot of this changed.  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-24-2018, 03:52 PM)Carrie Dalby Wrote: This is how simply I began plotting my Gothic horror, with the manor house central, and how the characters connected to it and each other. But when I began writing, a lot of this changed.  Smile

I see   Big Grin
(06-17-2018, 05:01 AM)Edgar Theodore Machen Wrote: Hello. I am new here. I hope to get acquainted with interesting people.

By the way - I need help.

How is your novel progressing?