Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mediocrity
Speaking of mediocre, I bought the book His Wicked Sins by Eve Silver which was mentioned on one of the threads around here as a new gothic paperback released a few weeks ago. I thought it was a good idea to support an author/publishing house who forges on in the gothic romance genre. Ugh. This book is just as bad as the crap that was churned out in the 70s...it has all the elements but this writer knows nothing about creating mood through style. In fact, the book has no style. It's basically written on a junior high school reading level. I guess I shouldn't expect much from Zebra publishing. I usually try to give a book 100 pages and if it doesn't work, I don't waste my time. I caved in at page 60. I also noticed this author has four books being published this year. Maybe if she slowed down enough to create something with style one of them might actually be worth reading. Sorry for the scathing review, I was just disappointed. Guess I need to dig out an old Barbara Michaels. Anyone else read His Wicked Sins who can offer a proper review?
I've not read His Wicked Sins but I did read Dark Prince also by Eve Silver and it sounds as if her writing is consistant.
I agree, all the expected gothic elements were present but they failed to come together. I found that there was a decided lack of atmosphere both gothic and romantic.
The heroine was excessively angsty-she could make an Emo teen look upbeat. And somebody needs to tell Silver that you don't add emotional depth to a story by using the word 'emotion'. (Full disclosure-that is one of my pet peeves)
Dark Prince had a plot interesting enough to have me wade through the dross to the end but I would avoid this author in the future. The pay off was not worth the effort.
I take heart in the fact that she's got 4 more books coming out. That means she must be selling, so at least one publisher sees that there's a market for gothic romance, which could open up the door for better works in this genre.
random capitals Wrote:I take heart in the fact that she's got 4 more books coming out. That means she must be selling, so at least one publisher sees that there's a market for gothic romance, which could open up the door for better works in this genre.

I do believe the other three due out this year are actually paranormal romance Sad