Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Dark and Splendid Passion by Lady Eleanor Smith
Original title: The Man in Grey

"The artist's name was long since forgotten, but the brooding, enigmatic face in the portrait would forever haunt those who chanced to look upon him.  Young Mary Rohan was no exception to the influence of The Man in Grey.  Bride of the last descendant of the House of Rohan, Mary was alone in the ghost-ridden manor when she came upon the portrait in a hidden room.  Driven by forces she could not explain, she soon found herself deep in an atmosphere of soul-searing terror and evil, as she strove to unlock a fatal secret - the ancient mystery of two star-crossed lovers."

Copyright 1941

I had been waiting to give reviews of the books I have read in order to allow myself time to compose a fair assessment rather than an impetuous one.  However, this one made me want to sit down right away to review.  As Ms. Radcliffe says, "this is a real humdinger - the kind I hope for with each new book I open."

This book is not the typical Gothic romance.  It reminds me of Rebecca, which was published in 1938.  It begins with a first-person narrative from Mary, then becomes a third-person narrative as she describes the story of the Regency Rohans, then returns to her.  I cannot say more without spoiling it for anyone who is lucky enough to find this book.

I do want to say that Ms. Radcliffe had one error in her book.  She lists A Dark and Splendid Passion and The Man in Grey as separate books but they are the same one.  She apparently did not read The Man in Grey and/or her A Dark and Splendid Passion did not state that it was originally titled The Man in Grey.
I should probably add this to the best Gothics list.
(12-09-2016, 10:17 PM)paigenumber Wrote: Original title: The Man in Grey

"The artist's name was long since forgotten, but the brooding, enigmatic face in the portrait would forever haunt those who chanced to look upon him.  Young Mary Rohan was no exception to the influence of The Man in Grey.  Bride of the last descendant of the House of Rohan, Mary was alone in the ghost-ridden manor when she came upon the portrait in a hidden room.  Driven by forces she could not explain, she soon found herself deep in an atmosphere of soul-searing terror and evil, as she strove to unlock a fatal secret - the ancient mystery of two star-crossed lovers."

Copyright 1941

I had been waiting to give reviews of the books I have read in order to allow myself time to compose a fair assessment rather than an impetuous one.  However, this one made me want to sit down right away to review.  As Ms. Radcliffe says, "this is a real humdinger - the kind I hope for with each new book I open."

This book is not the typical Gothic romance.  It reminds me of Rebecca, which was published in 1938.  It begins with a first-person narrative from Mary, then becomes a third-person narrative as she describes the story of the Regency Rohans, then returns to her.  I cannot say more without spoiling it for anyone who is lucky enough to find this book.

I do want to say that Ms. Radcliffe had one error in her book.  She lists A Dark and Splendid Passion and The Man in Grey as separate books but they are the same one.  She apparently did not read The Man in Grey and/or her A Dark and Splendid Passion did not state that it was originally titled The Man in Grey.

I do wish there were more Rebecca-like novels.  I like Anya Seton's books, which I think of as cousins to Du Maurier's, but I've read them all.  I'm going to look for this title based on your review.
According to Wikipedia, there was a film adaptation of this book. I need to find it.
I saw the movie on YouTube. It does not do the book justice though much of the main events were consistent. They introduced new characters for the beginning and ending of the movie and had nothing about Mary Rohan.
(12-09-2016, 10:17 PM)paigenumber Wrote: Original title: The Man in Grey

Copyright 1941

UPDATE: I ordered a copy of this book online and it looks great.  I'll post a response after reading it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House of Dark Illusions by Caroline Farr Penfeather 0 7,479 09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  The young widow by Eleanor Elford Cameron Charybdis 0 5,808 07-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  The dark of summer by Deanna Dwyer Charybdis 1 9,801 04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Last Post: sara
Sad Dark enchantment by Dorothy Macardle Charybdis 0 5,667 09-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Last Post: Charybdis
  "The Dark Guardian" by Vanessa Blake fallover 0 6,448 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Last Post: fallover
Sad The Dark of Memory [Paula Minton] Bellatrix 0 6,698 06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Bellatrix
  Out of the Dark by Nora Lofts tamtam 0 6,193 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Last Post: tamtam
  Dark Legacy by Theresa Charles tamtam 0 6,362 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM