Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who wrote "Dance Macabre"
That's the unfortunate part. I can't remember those details. This was my first real taste of Gothic romances, and I wasn't paying attention to the author or character details. It will mean finding and reading tons of Gothics to solve this mystery.
paigenumber Wrote:It will mean finding and reading tons of Gothics to solve this mystery.

Isn't that the fun part? Smile
I found it! it was not called Dance Macabre but it was in the "synopsis". I started suspecting that it was Julie Wellesley because several of her stories had plots that sounded almost like it. I hunted several of them down and saw the back cover description which read: "...while Tarquin fiddled a Danse Macabre..."

The story was written in 1967, so I was right that it was older, but the cover is not something I recognized. The little trailer must have appeared on the front of the one I read, that was why I remembered it as Danse Macabre. I'll write a review of it because I just read it again and it was not nearly as good as I had thought as a kid.
(01-23-2011, 01:37 PM)paigenumber Wrote: I found it! it was not called Dance Macabre but it was in the "synopsis". I started suspecting that it was Julie Wellesley because several of her stories had plots that sounded almost like it. I hunted several of them down and saw the back cover description which read: "...while Tarquin fiddled a Danse Macabre..."

The story was written in 1967, so I was right that it was older, but the cover is not something I recognized. The little trailer must have appeared on the front of the one I read, that was why I remembered it as Danse Macabre. I'll write a review of it because I just read it again and it was not nearly as good as I had thought as a kid.

Is this House Malign by Julie Wellsley? That features an evil boy genius called Tarquin who plays the violin. I wrote a review of it here:
House Malign
I quite enjoyed this gothic and would love to know what others think about it. I’d recommend Julie Wellsley’s Chateau of Secrets as well.
Yes, it is, sara. But I didn't enjoy it quite as well as you did in your review. Mine will be posted on the reviews in this forum.