Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help locating the title of a gothic romance from the 70s
Hi, all! My mother has enlisted me in the hunt for a gothic romance she read in the 70s. She doesn't remember the title but has given me a broad description included below. I never read it, so I am no help lol

"it was a romance novel written in the 70's. had a Gothic mansion on the cover sitting on a cliff. Victorian set in England (of course) . the story line was a girl was either betrothed to the guy or married . she was there and the ghost of his dead wife was haunting the castle. the guy was going crazy. It could have been she was working there but she was living at the mansion and he fell in love with her. the ghost turned out to be a living person hiding in the ataic i as close as I can remember it was his wife that was still alive. she was have supposed to have died and there was rumors that he had killed her but he was innocent. the poor misunderstood brooding mansion owner sort of stuff."
(08-18-2013, 10:45 AM)geekthegirl Wrote: Hi, all! My mother has enlisted me in the hunt for a gothic romance she read in the 70s. She doesn't remember the title but has given me a broad description included below. I never read it, so I am no help lol

"it was a romance novel written in the 70's. had a Gothic mansion on the cover sitting on a cliff. Victorian set in England (of course) . the story line was a girl was either betrothed to the guy or married . she was there and the ghost of his dead wife was haunting the castle. the guy was going crazy. It could have been she was working there but she was living at the mansion and he fell in love with her. the ghost turned out to be a living person hiding in the ataic i as close as I can remember it was his wife that was still alive. she was have supposed to have died and there was rumors that he had killed her but he was innocent. the poor misunderstood brooding mansion owner sort of stuff."
Sounds like the same plot as Jane Eyre, and there were numerous novels written around that time that emulated that novel. Therefore it would be pretty hard to pin down the exact title with only the info you've provided. Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your favorite classic gothic book? readertim 22 89,896 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Ewan Wilson
  What's the last classic Gothic that you read? readertim 4 22,608 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Last Post: romanticdress
  What is your favorite opening to a gothic novel? Lord stumbleforth 8 34,071 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Lord stumbleforth
  Romance of the Forest tamtam 1 10,462 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Des Esseintes
  Free H.P. Lovecraft essay about Gothic Fiction- UberStein 1 16,774 12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Des Esseintes
  Elizabeth Gaskell´s Gothic tales Dallas_Lawson 1 10,876 06-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  What's the first noteworthy Gothic book? readertim 11 36,075 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Last Post: tamtam