Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contemporary Gothic heroines - any suggestions?
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently starting my research for my MA dissertation and I will be focusing on contemporary Gothic literature. More specifically gender and the concept of femininity and how contemporary Gothic authors tackle femininity within a contemporary Gothic framework. Whereas femininity in traditional Gothic was bound to ideas of innocence, weakness, defencelessness, naivity, I want to explore how literature accounts for society's clear progression towards far more nuanced ideas of gender - or simply that having a defenceless and vulnerable heroine is no longer assumed or even acceptable. Gender no longer defines strength etc.

I'm starting by looking out for recent novels which could both be described as Gothic whilst also featuring interesting/ different/ strong female characters.

If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them! Smile
(04-08-2013, 09:46 AM)Rachel.Stockey Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I'm currently starting my research for my MA dissertation and I will be focusing on contemporary Gothic literature. More specifically gender and the concept of femininity and how contemporary Gothic authors tackle femininity within a contemporary Gothic framework. Whereas femininity in traditional Gothic was bound to ideas of innocence, weakness, defencelessness, naivity, I want to explore how literature accounts for society's clear progression towards far more nuanced ideas of gender - or simply that having a defenceless and vulnerable heroine is no longer assumed or even acceptable. Gender no longer defines strength etc.

I'm starting by looking out for recent novels which could both be described as Gothic whilst also featuring interesting/ different/ strong female characters.

If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them! Smile

I believe one of the difficulties, surely is defining Gothic. I define Jane Eyre as a Gothic novel but Jane is neither weak, defenceless nor naive. She is remarkably independent and whilst not sophisticated or worldly she's not naive. She is certainly a strong/interesting heroine. Modern novels may contain Gothic elements but 'twould be difficult to categorise any as truly Gothic. Check out Kate Morton's books and also Rebecca James's recently relesased 2nd novel "Sweet Damage" for some contemporary takes on Gothic.
How are you defining "contemporary"? After the year 2000? In Gothic romances of the 1970s it was common for the heroine to be innocent, weak, defenceless, naive, and somewhat stupid, Smile Many people reading them now find it annoying, and use the acronym TSTL (Too Stupid To Live) for this type of heroine.
A bit off-topic, but I would like to see a positive heroine who is a grown-up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying to find gothic I read years ago! Please help :-) sulaco2d 3 13,079 07-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Gothic Journal Newsletter GothicLover 1 5,070 05-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Carrie Dalby
  Best "Classic" Gothic list paigenumber 11 71,007 07-27-2018, 05:28 AM
Last Post: ZackFerrum
  Creating a Best Gothic Romance List maisonvivante 50 179,228 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Last Post: ZackFerrum
Exclamation Gothic Literature Resources on the Internet GothAdmin 15 60,316 07-23-2018, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  Elements of a bad Gothic paigenumber 7 18,109 01-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Jojo Lapin X
  Gothic Journal Newsletter GothicLover 1 7,417 12-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Penfeather
  Are contemporary Gothics possible? Penfeather 8 18,371 12-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  The Beekeeper's Daughter -Gothic Romance by Jane Jordan janemarie1 1 8,539 10-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Last Post: GothicLover
  Looking for old gothic romance soche11 3 10,989 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Last Post: soche11