Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mask of the Night by Mary Ryan (1997)
Big Grin 
I randomly picked up Mask of the Night by Mary Ryan at the public library. I've been on a Phantom of the Opera kick and picked up the book simply because it had the word "mask" in it.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, having never heard of the author, but I really enjoyed this book.

Here's a summary from Kirkus Reviews...

At the core of this spooky yarn, swaddled in Anne Ricean supernatural strands, is a concern half-concealed before in the author's Shadows from the Fire (1995)--the ugly tension between the sexes, in which women are the losers, big-time. Here, two women, 50 years apart, attract demonic lovers and amass ancient curses, while even their peripheral sisters-in-arms wilt like moths: ``Passion and injustice have a way of marking the very air around them and of reverberating down the years.''

From the time of an Inquisition in Venice comes the origin of this story of cruelty, terrible passion, and two artifacts belonging to an apostate priest who has turned to the occult: a gold ring and a silver mask, which appear and disappear in the lives of Desiree and Jenny. When English Jenny discovers the mask just before WW I, she braves the rage of Papa and the fears of Gramps to put it on her face. The world is then revealed as a ``terrible lonely place.'' There's more magic afoot when a strange man appears from nowhere, saying odd things. The grown-up Jenny goes on to endure a disastrous marriage to mundane Andrew; she's repulsed by sex and ``swamped by the ordinary.'' Andrew's sister Yvonne marries Theo, needy and vulnerable, it seemed, until his own strange metamorphosis. A ghastly climax ensues when all four meet, with Theo's hapless mother and sister, in his Irish estate, Kilashane.

Kilashane, much later, is a personal mystery to Dee, who, in 1967, will also have eerie visitations there, even waver into a past and lose the gold ring she'd found. Kilashane is now a ruin, but who will tell Dee what caused this?

This book has a mystery, a romance, and a gloomy atmosphere. The origin of the tale is a love story from the Inquisition. The only real hints of this story come at the beginning of each chapter. There are a few lines from the "Journal of a Witness" with just enough dialogue to create a powerful love story and sense of horror of what happened to a very brave woman. Brilliant technique.

I was moved by the book, intrigued, and had a lot of fun. I also appreciated that it was by an Irish author as opposed to the typical American/British writers I see.

I give it a B+++.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The House of Ravensbourne by Mary Ann Gibbs paigenumber 0 4,589 12-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Last Post: paigenumber
  Night of the Pentagram by Barrymore Tebbs Charybdis 2 11,839 06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Amanda DeWees
  On the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt Charybdis 0 7,311 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Charybdis
Shy Touch not the cat by Mary Stewart Charybdis 1 10,433 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Last Post: The Ming
  Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart Drossler 4 18,122 08-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Fiddlette
  The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart Penfeather 9 28,183 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Last Post: MysteryMind
  The Mask of the Enchantress by Victoria Holt Charybdis 0 8,283 07-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Sad A Man From the Mist by Mary Elgin Charybdis 0 6,572 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM
  Widow's Walk by Mary Bishop coramunroe 0 6,085 11-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Last Post: coramunroe
Big Grin Night of Evil, by Genevieve St. John [1967] Bellatrix 0 6,258 08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Bellatrix