Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gothic movies
I love to read and enjoy discussing books, but are there any recommendations for a good Gothic movie, whether it's an original movie or an adaptation of a novel? I saw one version of "Jane Eyre" and wasn't too impressed at the time. I also saw parts of "Rebecca" once - can't recall much of it.
Do you like movies depicting historical Gothics? Or do you prefer older movies?
Best Gothic Movies (in my opinion, of course!)
In chronological order:
1.  Rebecca--1940--directed by Alfred Hitchcock
2.  The Uninvited--1940something--Brother and sister buy a haunted house.  Fun, scary Gothic
3.  Dragonwyck--1940something--starring Gene Tierney who move to her cousin's mysterious mansion
4.  The Innocents--1960something--GREAT adaptation of "The Turn of the Screw" starring Deborah Kerr as the governess for two charismatic/demonic children.
5.  The Haunting--1960something--starring Julie Harris.  Adapted from Shirley Jackson's novel about a woman in a haunted house investigation.
6.  The Legend of Hell House--1970something--More of a horror film than others listed, but still a classic Gothic haunted house tale
7.  The Changeling--1980something--Elegant, old fashioned Gothic haunted house tale
8.  Haunted--1990something--set in the 1920's, Aidan Quin stars as a ghost hunter in this elegant film
9.  Jane Eyre--most recent version

Unfortunately, most of these movies aren't Gothic romances in the vein of Mary Stewart or Victoria Holt.  Sadly, that particular formula really hasn't been done on film very often.  I think it's high time for a film of "Nine Coaches Waiting" or "Bride of Pendorric," but apparently I don't think like a Hollywood executive.
Wow! Thank you. I have not heard of most of those movies. Are the older ones available at video stores?
I was at a book sale today and picked up a copy of Mary Stewart's "The Moonspinners". The cover said it was now a movie (it was an old cover). Has anyone seen it or heard of it?
tamtam Wrote:I was at a book sale today and picked up a copy of Mary Stewart's "The Moonspinners".  The cover said it was now a movie (it was an old cover).  Has anyone seen it or heard of it?

Yes, it starred Hayley Mills and was made by Disney in the 1960's. It's available on dvd. It's enjoyable, but nothing like the book. It's been turned into a rather silly teen adventure suspense film.
fallover Wrote:Wow!  Thank you.  I have not heard of most of those movies.  Are the older ones available at video stores?

Yes, most of these are fairly easy to get on video. I don't think "Dragonwyck" is available yet, though it does show up on Turner Classic Movies every now and then.

They are all worth seeing, and really enlightening if you watch them in the order they were made.
I would also recommend Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte with Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland and Joseph Cotten. It is from 1964 and should be considered Southern Gothic.

Even my husband liked this movie. Great acting, atmosphere, and suspense. Get ready for an unexpected scare at the beginning.

Here's a synopsis listed on IMDB...

Charlotte Hollis, an aging recluse deluded into a state of dementia by horrible memories and hallucinations, lives in a secluded house where, thirty-seven years before, John Mayhew her married lover, was beheaded and mutilated by an unknown assailant.
Desdemona Wrote:I would also recommend Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte with Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland and Joseph Cotten.  It is from 1964 and should be considered Southern Gothic.

Even my husband liked this movie.  Great acting, atmosphere, and suspense.  Get ready for an unexpected scare at the beginning.

Here's a synopsis listed on IMDB...

Charlotte Hollis, an aging recluse deluded into a state of dementia by horrible memories and hallucinations, lives in a secluded house where, thirty-seven years before, John Mayhew her married lover, was beheaded and mutilated by an unknown assailant.

I remember seeing that movie late night on one of those A&E or AMC programs. (I love old movies.) I didn't know what to expect but it was great.
Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, yes! A definite one to add to the Gothic list.

"I Walked With a Zombie" is (believe it or not!) a good one too. It's basically the story of "Jane Eyre" set in the West Indies. It has a terrible title, but the movie is more literate and interesting than you would think.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Gothic Films Gothmeister 9 49,121 11-02-2018, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  Two Gothic Romance Book Give Aways!! StacyLynn 0 6,606 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Last Post: StacyLynn
  Harlequin Shivers (gothic romance line) Cherchezlafemme 7 30,204 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Jane Godman
  Gothic romance as you never knew it! blackstone 2 13,862 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Last Post: blackstone
  Gothic Movies: The Shuttered Room Monique Devereaux 6 24,787 10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  Gothic series: housekeeper heroine Miranda 3 15,381 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  gothic songs? bronte 4 15,948 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Last Post: SpookySweetness
  old, musty gothic books coramunroe 6 21,861 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Penfeather
  Gothic Questionnaire Gorfette85 2 9,924 06-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Gorfette85
  this series is NOT gothic but... bronte 1 9,923 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: bronte