Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gothic movies
(06-14-2007, 08:56 PM)fallover Wrote: I love to read and enjoy discussing books, but are there any recommendations for a good Gothic movie, whether it's an original movie or an adaptation of a novel? I saw one version of "Jane Eyre" and wasn't too impressed at the time. I also saw parts of "Rebecca" once - can't recall much of it.

I thouht Hitchcocks "Rebecca" was brilliant! if you like older movies and can't remember much of it, i would urge you to watch it again.
Technically its a musical, but Joel Schumacher's "The Phantom of the Opera" starring Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum is absolutely stunning and the music fits it perfectly! its based off Gaston Lereaux's 1911 novel of the same title, but the movie may actually have been better than the book in my opinion.
I've just watched "Cry wolf" again, (1947, Barbara Stanwyck and Errol Flynn) and think it's an excellent modern gothic. I have read the book by Marjorie Carleton a long time ago and the movie follows the story quite accurately.

Here's the synopsis from the IMDB:
Sandra Demarest arrives at the Caldwell estate, and announces to Mark Caldwell that she was secretly married to his nephew James, who recently died. Mark does not believe her, but allows her to remain at the manor while a search is made for a missing will that would prove her claim. Sandra befriends James' sister, Julie, who tells of strange noises and agonized screams from the laboratory wing of the estate. Between verbal duels with Mark, Sandra secretly investigates the lab and learns that ominous things really are happening. Written by Mike Rogers

[Image: CryWolf.jpg]

I'll take the risk of sounding ridiculous by asking if any of you Gothic readers out there are Lifetime TV watchers. Having never watched that channel myself (I swear!), I came up with the naive idea that they might be the most likely people to produce adaptations of Gothic romances today. If they did, I would watch!
La baronessa di Carini (TV mini-series 2007)
IMDB

It's 1860 in Sicily, Italy. Laura's father has made her marry the cruel Don Mariani. They live in a palazzo, but originally the family lived in a castle high on the mountain top, which has fallen into ruins now. Here, 300 years ago, a tragedy occurred: another Laura, unhappily married, was murdered when she was found in the arms of her lover. It seems history could be repeating itself, as the new Laura also finds another man to love.

The first Laura's story really happened and would have been long forgotten if an unknown poet hadn't written one of the most beautiful poems of the Sicilian literature about it. To fill the 200 minute mini-series, the plot has been thickened by rebellions and the arrival of Garibaldi.
I didn't care so much for these politics and the fighting, but the rest, the buildings, the interiors, the clothes, the people, all were wonderful to look at. Vittoria Puccini is a beautiful actress. I confess I downloaded this mini-series just because I wanted to see more of here (Elisa di Rivombrosa is what she's most famous for). I liked the story as well; if it had been a novel told in first person by the heroine, I think the gothicness could have been felt more intensely.

[Image: cariniallesA.jpg]
[Image: cariniallesB.jpg]
[Image: cariniallesC.jpg]
I second the recommendations of The Uninvited, Cry Wolf (though the ending is a bit bizarre), I Walked With a Zombie, Rebecca, Gaslight, and Hangover Square, Dragonwyck, The Lodger, and My Cousin Rachel.

I'll also add The Turn of the Screw (the BBC adapted this Henry James novella about two years ago), The Woman in White (1948), Footsteps in the Fog (1955), and A Place of One's Own (1945). If you liked The Others with Nicole Kidman, try The Innocents (1961) with Deborah Kerr, which is almost similar in plot and tone.
  •  Edwardian Promenade
If it hasn't been mentioned before, I also recommend Leave Her To Heaven (1945). While not really a Gothic, I think it will appeal to fans of the genre because it unfolds like one and concerns a femme fatale consumed by pathological jealousy (played to perfection by the incredibly lovely Gene Tierney).

While not in black-and-white in the proper Gothic tradition, this movie is as visually complex as anything by Welles; it was shot using the original Technicolor process, and the results are glorious and mesmerizing. Every shot looks like an oil painting or a tinted photograph, and the lavish sets and clothes take full advantage of the sumptuous color that you could eat with a spoon.

After moving from a spectacular New Mexico ranch, the rest of the movie takes place in a remote lodge in Maine, by a lake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037865/

[Image: leave_her_to_heaven.jpg]
The House on Telegraph Hill (1951)
Quote:Victoria has survived Nazi concentration by assuming the identity of one who died there. She arrives in San Francisco to see her "son" just as the boy's great-aunt dies leaving a lot of money to be inherited. Victoria falls in love with the boy's trustee Alan Spender, and they move into the mansion on Telegraph Hill. She then learns that Alan and his lover, the boy's governess Margaret, murdered an aunt and are planning the same for her. Written by Ed Stephan <stephan@cc.wwu.edu>
from the IMDB

[Image: ThehouseonTelegraphHill.jpg]

The next one has been mentioned before, but as I've got images, I'll post them here:

The Spiral Staircase (1945)
Quote:Beautiful young mute Helen is a domestic worker for old ailing Mrs. Warren. Mrs. Warren's two sons, Albert (a professor) and womanizing impudent Steven, also live in the Warren mansion. Mrs. Warren becomes concerned for Helen's safety when a rash of murders involving 'women with afflictions' hits the neighborhood. She implores her physician, Dr. Parry, to take Helen away for her own safety. When another murder occurs inside the Warren mansion, it becomes obvious that Helen is in danger. Written by Gary Jackson <garyjack5@cogeco.ca>
from the IMDB

[Image: Thespiralstaircase.jpg]
Obviously, no one has replied to this in awhile, so I don't know if anyone will see this or bother with it.

Dorothy Eden's Crow Hollow was made into a movie. It is a public domain film, but very hard to find. I don't know if you still can, but you used to be able to find burned copies on Ebay. My friend bought one and had another copy made and sent it to me.
(01-03-2016, 01:30 AM)Ladyindecadence Wrote: Obviously, no one has replied to this in awhile, so I don't know if anyone will see this or bother with it.

Here's a link to the detail at IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044521/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
(01-03-2016, 01:30 AM)Ladyindecadence Wrote: Obviously, no one has replied to this in awhile, so I don't know if anyone will see this or bother with it.

Dorothy Eden's Crow Hollow was made into a movie. It is a public domain film, but very hard to find. I don't know if you still can, but you used to be able to find burned copies on Ebay. My friend bought one and had another copy made and sent it to me.

The entire film is on Youtube, at least as of this posting date.  Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXCYCi2h-c

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Gothic Films Gothmeister 9 49,267 11-02-2018, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Edgar Theodore Machen
  Two Gothic Romance Book Give Aways!! StacyLynn 0 6,635 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Last Post: StacyLynn
  Harlequin Shivers (gothic romance line) Cherchezlafemme 7 30,367 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Jane Godman
  Gothic romance as you never knew it! blackstone 2 13,920 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Last Post: blackstone
  Gothic Movies: The Shuttered Room Monique Devereaux 6 24,902 10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Charybdis
  Gothic series: housekeeper heroine Miranda 3 15,433 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Penfeather
  gothic songs? bronte 4 16,010 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Last Post: SpookySweetness
  old, musty gothic books coramunroe 6 21,932 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Penfeather
  Gothic Questionnaire Gorfette85 2 9,966 06-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Gorfette85
  this series is NOT gothic but... bronte 1 9,956 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: bronte