Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers
Best "Classic" Gothic list - Printable Version

+- Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com)
+-- Forum: Gothic Romances (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Gothic Romance Discussion (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Best "Classic" Gothic list (/showthread.php?tid=96)

Pages: 1 2

Best "Classic" Gothic list - paigenumber - 10-27-2007

So, we've started the list for the best 20th century Gothics. How about the Classics? I haven't read many, so I'll just start with a couple:

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. This has led to our ideal of a Gothic romance.

2. The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole. The book that started the genre should not be missed.

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - tamtam - 10-28-2007

I've been trying to read some of the older Gothics but finding time to read has been very difficult. I'll just add what I've read:

3. The Old English Baron by Clara Reeve.

I'd like to get some Mrs. Radcliffe Gothics.

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - maisonvivante - 10-28-2007

4.  The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
5.  The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe
6.  Uncle Silas by Sheridan Le Fanu
7.  The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins
8.  The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
9.  The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
10.  The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
11. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - Valancourt - 02-09-2009

maisonvivante Wrote:11. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Just wanted to note that Northanger Abbey is not a Gothic novel. It's more a satire on the genre, making jest of it and it's readers.

I am much surprised no one has mentioned The Monk by Matthew Lewis, Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock, Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin!

All solid and excellent classics. You must read them!

Also The Italian by Ann Radcliffe. I seem to always see her Romance of the Forest mentioned but never her The Italian. By many critics The Italian was her masterpiece of all her works. It IS an awesome novel! I myself think her Mysteries of Udolpho is her best work, but in many circles The Italian is their top pick.

While I very much enjoyed her Romance of the Forest, it's an early effort of hers and it shows. Very inferior to her later works.

Though not novels the Graveyard Poets of the 18th century whose writings frequently touched on themes of death, mortality, religion, and melancholy are exquisite wordsmiths. They are most certainly intensely gothic!

Here is a great link about them.....
http://www.litgothic.com/Topics/graveyard_school.html

Check their work out. Sublimely melancholy.

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - paigenumber - 02-10-2009

This is the updated list then (numbers do not denote importance):

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
2. The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
3. The Old English Baron by Clara Reeve
4. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
5. The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe
6. The Italian by Ann Radcliffe
7. Uncle Silas by Sheridan Le Fanu
8. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
9. The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
10. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
11. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
12. The Monk by Matthew Lewis
13. Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock
14. Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin

And a couple more that are quite obvious:
15. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
16. Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - Monique Devereaux - 02-10-2009

Dracula by Bram Stoker

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - lordontranto - 02-16-2009

Frankenstein: The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelly has to be one of my favorites.

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - black tulip - 04-28-2009

Valancourt Wrote:
maisonvivante Wrote:11. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Just wanted to note that Northanger Abbey is not a Gothic novel. It's more a satire on the genre, making jest of it and it's readers.

I am much surprised no one has mentioned The Monk by Matthew Lewis, Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock, Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin!

All solid and excellent classics. You must read them!

Also The Italian by Ann Radcliffe. I seem to always see her Romance of the Forest mentioned but never her The Italian. By many critics The Italian was her masterpiece of all her works. It IS an awesome novel! I myself think her Mysteries of Udolpho is her best work, but in many circles The Italian is their top pick.

While I very much enjoyed her Romance of the Forest, it's an early effort of hers and it shows. Very inferior to her later works.

Though not novels the Graveyard Poets of the 18th century whose writings frequently touched on themes of death, mortality, religion, and melancholy are exquisite wordsmiths. They are most certainly intensely gothic!

Here is a great link about them.....
http://www.litgothic.com/Topics/graveyard_school.html

Check their work out. Sublimely melancholy.

I agree! The Italian by Ann Radcliffe is a masterpiece. Studied it in my 2nd year at uni and fell in love with it. You can def. see inspiration for Jane Eyre with Eleanor. Loved Schedoni!

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - Bellatrix Lestrange - 12-05-2010

(10-27-2007, 05:51 PM)paigenumber Wrote: So, we've started the list for the best 20th century Gothics. How about the Classics? I haven't read many, so I'll just start with a couple:

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. This has led to our ideal of a Gothic romance.

2. The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole. The book that started the genre should not be missed.

Im with you both on Jane Eyre! Wuthering Heights is aslo very good. However im partial to Jane Eyre becuse both protagonists were genuine, one was more tormented (Rochester) but in the end they both mantained their dignity.
Wuthering Heights, although a fabulous read, was slightly irritating because Cathy and Heathcliff weren't very realistic. I understand that Heathcliff was a product of his upbringing, having been raised as an outcast in his own family (foster though it may have been). But Cathy was downright annoying! I can understand why why women all seem enamored with him because of the dark night image, but i honestly found their relationship too melodramatic to take seriously. I ended up frustrated with Heathcliff because he threw away so much potential by allowing himself to fall for Cathy, and was just plain irritated with Cathy because she seemed to be totally manipulative and spineless!

Jane Eyre remains one of my literary heroes, Rochester is harsh, yet totally charasmatic, i love him!

Frankenstein is also quite good, i want to go back and reread it because i feel like i didnt appreciate it fully the first time around.

RE: Best "Classic" Gothic list - maisonvivante - 06-27-2011

I would argue that "Northanger Abbey" IS a Gothic novel in that even though it may be parodying the genre, it also contains ALL the stock elements of the genre. Lots of the books that have made the list have elements of parody, social commentary and satire in them. If you believe all these authors were working in this genre with a completely straight face, you are much mistaken.