Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers
Do you like to be alone while reading? - Printable Version

+- Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com)
+-- Forum: Gothic Romances (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Gothic Romance Discussion (https://www.gothicromanceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Do you like to be alone while reading? (/showthread.php?tid=61)

Pages: 1 2

Do you like to be alone while reading? - readertim - 10-02-2007

Do you like to be alone while reading? I do, but I notice some people who read in public places, or around other people, or in front of a TV or something. I like to be in a quiet place by myself when reading.

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - tamtam - 10-04-2007

I don't find it difficult to read in public places unless there is something there that distracts me. I cannot read if I am sitting next to a friend or acquaintance and we want to have a conversation.

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - Penfeather - 01-20-2009

readertim Wrote:Do you like to be alone while reading? I do, but I notice some people who read in public places, or around other people, or in front of a TV or something. I like to be in a quiet place by myself when reading.

I prefer to be alone, in quiet surroundings. Yet I can read in a public place provided it isn't too noisy. A restaurant or a café, if I'm by myself, and if there isn't loud music piped in or people shouting. But yes, reading in solitude is ideal.

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - Bellatrix - 01-20-2009

I prefer to be alone, definitely, and to that end retire to the spare bedroom with "white noise" - either playing a CD with rain/thunder or the fan set on low.

The only time I can read "in front of" a TV is if my husband's watching football. :-P

Re: Do you like to be alone while reading? - AlexAppleton - 01-29-2009

I love to read in public places....Its a very different feelings to read outside....

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - random capitals - 01-29-2009

I used to tuck myself away from the world with a book but now I have 3 children, if I only read when alone I would never get any reading done.
I love reading too much to limit my reading time. I can and do read in public places, particularly places where waiting is involved-public transport, dr offices, supermarket queues etc.
I read in front of the TV often. Sure beats watching what's on the screen and that way I'm still with my family and able to interact with them yet do something I enjoy.
I think it's also a good model for my children who are all readers and I think that's in part because they see their parents enjoying books.
The one place I find I can't read is in the car but on occasion we've listened to audio books on cd on longer drives.
Alone reading time is a real luxury for me.

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - lordontranto - 01-29-2009

I tend to like reading alone, but on my college campus there really is only a few places to read alone, the library bathroom, a small spot under a fourth floor auxiliary stairwell in the library, though reading there could incur the librarians wrath, which would not be good for me, and three, when my roommate goes to class....which is very rare. So I tend to use the library bathroom as its the only place I know where I can actually hear myself breathe, or the cafeteria around three o'clock. Reading in public for me is possible but as I like reading books with a lonesome feel to them, I like to feel lonesome myself.

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - Valancourt - 02-07-2009

Yessss!

I much prefer to be alone and in silence. Listening to the wind or some other soothing sound.

But I am a true bibliophile and read everywhere and anywhere. I use reading to escape tense enviroments, boring line waiting and anything else that is just not where I want to be!

I can easily block everything and every sound out and create my own cocooned world.

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - goth-princess - 07-08-2009

I like reading alone with the TV on. But that's just me.

RE: Do you like to be alone while reading? - Lina Perez - 07-08-2009

(10-02-2007, 07:27 PM)readertim Wrote: Do you like to be alone while reading? I do, but I notice some people who read in public places, or around other people, or in front of a TV or something. I like to be in a quiet place by myself when reading.

I don't mind either way. I do know though that if I am reading I like noise. I focus better with either the television or music playing.